B16 bottom end build.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

theB16tegguy

I was thinking that I would stroke it but seing as the cheapest kit i could find was 1700$ I'm kinda rethinking this. what is the max bore I can go with on a stock block. What rod/piston combo should I use. I'm open for many ideas. I'm not in a hurry because this is a project but i would like to at least get a starting point.Thanks ;)

Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Jul 27 2004, 09:23 PM
I was thinking that I would stroke it but seing as the cheapest kit i could find was 1700$ I'm kinda rethinking this. what is the max bore I can go with on a stock block. What rod/piston combo should I use. I'm open for many ideas. I'm not in a hurry because this is a project but i would like to at least get a starting point.Thanks ;)
[post=369118]Quoted post[/post]​

On a stock unsleeved block, I wouldn't go over 82mm without sleeving it. If it is just a spare block, bore it to 81.5mm and buy some high compression pistons and some cams and tuning. If you wanna go big, sleeve it, and bore to ~85mm, you'll get some good numbers with that.

ok, I have ITR valvetrain in my B16 right now, that valvetrain can easily handle stage 2 cams, correct? and if I buy a set of CTR pistons will the piston to valve clearence be ok to say 9k rpm's

blah, sell it and buy an LS bottom and work from that.

maybe........, i'm getting it for 100$ comes with crank rods and pistons, it just seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Jul 28 2004, 06:40 AM
ok, I have ITR valvetrain in my B16 right now, that valvetrain can easily handle stage 2 cams, correct?
[post=369249]Quoted post[/post]​

no

You want to stay N/A or have you thought about a turbo? Why don't you just boost it and not worry about building the bottom end. You could probably get a reliable 300whp with a good turbo setup. Just make sure you have good fuel management and tune it really well.

true but if I did i'd still do arebuild at the least, ex: new rings, bearings, oilpump water pump, timing belt, and head gasket. and probably shot peen the rods.

Originally posted by theB16tegguy+Jul 28 2004, 12:13 PM-->
Originally posted by B16@Jul 28 2004, 11:32 AM
theB16tegguy
@Jul 28 2004, 06:40 AM
ok, I have ITR valvetrain in my B16 right now, that valvetrain can easily handle stage 2 cams, correct?

no
[post=369291]Quoted post[/post]​

mind telling me why instead of being as bleak as possible?
[post=369375]Quoted post[/post]​

the lift would be too great for those springs. you run into coil bind

Originally posted by B16+Jul 28 2004, 04:13 PM-->
Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Jul 28 2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by B16@Jul 28 2004, 11:32 AM
theB16tegguy
@Jul 28 2004, 06:40 AM

no
[post=369291]Quoted post[/post]​

mind telling me why instead of being as bleak as possible?
[post=369375]Quoted post[/post]​

the lift would be too great for those springs. you run into coil bind
[post=369402]Quoted post[/post]​

can anyone give me a second opinion on this? I've never heard of this and as far as I know, many people run stage 2 in there ITR's ......... but if I cant then I can't, which would suck. I thought stage 2's were generally only a tad bit better then type R cams themselves? I dunno,.....

even skunk2 recommends upgrading the valve train when using their cams. People said you don't need the valves but you need the springs/retainers and whatnot.

get ITR inner/outer springs for the intake side and move your b16 intake springs to the exhaust side..

Originally posted by JDMilan@Jul 29 2004, 01:41 PM
get ITR inner/outer springs for the intake side and move your b16 intake springs to the exhaust side..
[post=369983]Quoted post[/post]​

for skunk2 stage2 cams? i definately wouldnt..

As B16 said you will run into coil bind with s2s2's and an ITR valvetrain. The ITR valvetrain will not support those high lift cams.

i'm not even going to get skunk 2 anyway, i was going to get obx stage 2, i'll give you the cam specs: Utilizes / Specs:
LIFT/DURATION: IN. 485,266 EX. 466,262

you never stated which stage 2 cams, most common stage 2 cam is skunk2. next time don't be so "bleak".

.485 Inches = 12.319 Millimeters
.466 Inches = 11.836 Millimeters

so ya, i would NOT use itr valvetrain with these cams either.

Screw OBX, that company is lame, I wouldn't put any of their stuff on my car if it was a critical mechanical piece.

Back