b16 engine ticking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

neenjafus

thinking of getting an 00 si from someone. The car runs well, but it has a ticking sound in it. The motor is externally stock, but it has been built a bit with 9.6/1 cr pistons, and different rods. Everything else is totally stock.

I had a 95 ex with d16 in it and didn't recall it ticking this much.

The seller says that it is the injectors, I am wondering if this is normal, or if it is an exhaust leak, or something else.

The ticking exists at all points on the rpm range, from idle to redline. It does get a little more pronounced at higher rpms.

The car is also fairly loud. It has the stock airbox, but he said he removed the resonator and that is causing the excess volume. He can put it back, and I think I will ask him to next time I see the car, to compare.

I can hear the ticking over the intake noise, but I wouldnt be able to hear it with the windows down, the stereo on, or even the air conditioning up full blast.

Any idea what the ticking could be? And, is it reasonable that simply removing the resonator from the stock airbox could make the car quite a bit louder than stock?

Thanks a ton!

or take a screwdriver with the engine running and put it on each injector and put your ear up to the screwdriver. if the ticking you hear at the screwdriver matches the ticking you are describing, you have found what is ticking. Im putting my money on the valves needing adjustment though.

he did this and he says that he doesnt hear the ticking comming through the screwdriver.

any other ideas?

Some folk have suggested lost motion assemblies. I have no clue how to diagnose if they need to be replaced or not...can anyone tell me?

Thanks!!!

I wouldn't count on the lost motion assemblies needing to be replaced on such a new motor. If they do, forget that car, it's been revved a little too much to worry about. I bet 99.9999% it is the valves, tell the owner to take it to the shop and have them adjusted.

You said you got new pistons? Forged pistons are louder than cast when the car is cold. They expand more when heated so they make them a little undersized, so they slap more when cold.

Originally posted by neenjafus@Apr 17 2004, 08:20 PM
The motor is externally stock, but it has been built a bit with 9.6/1 cr pistons, and different rods. Everything else is totally stock.

Or debuilt, what was he going to go turbo?

ANyway, valve adjustment will probably cure it.

ya, he had a turbo on it. I will probably turbo it also, so I will just deal with the low cr till I can boost it. I just want to make sure it's good to go before I get it.

Back