b16 head building problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5genracer

I rebuilt my b16 head in school (I am going for mechanic). I put new Skunk2 springs/retainers, and ground my valves and seats. When I measured the valve installed height, the height was too much due to the seat and valve grinding, so my instructor told me to use a machine that grinds off the end of the stem, to reduce the valve height. My question is this, won't my spring installed height be to much now, because the valve still sits higher up in the head? I didn't get any specs with my springs retainers, so I am kind of lost.

Also, if I do need to replace my valves, what should I replace them with? I have heard good things about Ferrea, but I can't seem to find any place to buy them online. I suppose that new valves wouldn't have the correct clearance with the guides either so I would have to replace those too.

My hatch is NEVER going to get done :angry:

Your going to need new valves, If you got the money invest in some cams.

My hatch is NEVER going to get done

I thought the same thing, my swap took forever, ran like shit and smoked like a bitch, took me like an 2 hours too figure out the extra 2 quarts of oil in the bitch was burning. Took me 45 mins to get the rear mount on, exhasut isn't connected and I'm still not able to rev it past 3500 rpm (ecu problem?). But I'm still going to finish what I started.

I have new CTR cams that I am going to use. Where should I go to get new valves? I would like stainless steel if possible. Thanks.

I've dealt with them before - great service.
Does anyone have the installed height specs for the skunk2 valve springs?

Where do the height specs for the valve springs come into play? If you have had the valve seats and valves reground correctly, you should be able to slide the valve up into place, put the valve spring oem spacer in place, then the valve spings into place, then compress a little and secure with the retainer and keys. Stock valve spring and stem height shouldn't be an issue, since the rocker arms are adjustable. But then again, I am not working toward being a mechanic. I have however rebuit my mazda 626 sohc head, and valve spring height never even entered my mind after I got my head back from the shop. I am also familiar with the b18a head and I am learning about the b16a head since I'm swapping in a b16a. Let me know how things go.

Back