b16 head onto zc block?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
I was interested to see if a vtext head could be swapped onto a zc block. new computer and obd(x) would have to be wired I know. Would everything line up? Would hp be about the same more/less and how is the bottom end on the zc compared to a reg b16 with vtec?

The bore center spacing is completely different... always check that the first time you think of a new head/block combination of ANY sort.

Originally posted by dok@Feb 13 2004, 04:56 PM
new comer you can b and d serious are different and it can't be done

:wtf: :imgone:

its about something id ask,
i mean, wtf are zc, why do they make them, they are like half b series and half d series but only work with d stuff

somebody also told me they use b series axels? wtf???

Originally posted by hammerdgolfer@Feb 14 2004, 05:20 PM
wtf are zc, why do they make them, they are like half b series and half d series but only work with d stuff

somebody also told me they use b series axels? wtf???

From what I understand, they came from the JDM CRX Base model.

A (not are) ZC engine is a 1.6 DOHC non-vtec engine that produces @130hp.

Yes, they use Integra Axles.

No, they dont still make them...

They are very similar to an Older Integra engine, but not exactly the same. (I dont know the differences, So dont ask)

They cant take a lot of abuse... Ive seen my share of blown ZCs (the bottom end is too weak)

They are cheep to buy, and In my opinion, not worth the time or money.

Originally posted by hammerdgolfer@Feb 14 2004, 05:20 PM
i mean, wtf are zc, why do they make them, they are like half b series and half d series but only work with d stuff

they are not half B and half D they are full blown D series engines with B series traits...

:werd:

The only real similarity the DOHC ZC has with a B series block is the number of cams- two. Other than that, it's a D series engine. It uses the same bore and stroke as a D16, has the same crank and rod journal sizes, uses the same length rods and compression height pistons etc...

well since im werking on the writeup for my site check it out and remind me if ive made mistakes.. :)

This write up will not deal with swaps click here for our swap guide..It is only to educate people about the origins of the zc engines.

First off NO zc was ever available from honda in the usdm..The "integra zc" engine carlos at the tunershop is trying to sell you is the d16a1..and isnt even worth the trouble.The true zc's were produced in the jdm and certain other markets.(australlia new zealand etc) Ive heard rumors of a 140 hp version that was produced in some arabic markets but ive yet to see evidence,, but here is the list i know to exist...although ive never seen the obd 1 version. but i do believe it does exist.ALL DISPLACE 1.6 LITRES

BROWN TOP DOHC NON OBD
This engine was originally produced in the 84-87 jdm crx si. it has the highest power rating of them all at 137ps(about 135 hp) it is known for its brown valve cover. these are becoming rare but if you have an 84-87 it makes an awesome upgrade.

SOHC OBD 0
this engine was produced in the 88-91 jdm civic/crx base or standard model...and maybe a few others who knows? it is rated at 129ps..

DOHC BLACK TOP(BLACKIE) OBD 0
This one is the winner.. Shes is the king of the d series basically.It was produced in the 88-91 civic/crx si.. it is rated at 129ps as well..From most of my reasearch it seems to have stronger internals than the others. this is the engine i bought.. make sure it has or had power steering.. mine also had an auto tranny in its former life..as evidenced by the shorter flywheel bolts..stamped with at...

DOHC BLACKIE OBD 1
Ive just heard of this engine.. Seemingly it was produced in a "special edition" 9x civic/crx. As stated it is obd1 and one way to tell this is the crank angle sensor. On obd 0 engines it will be a sensor on the exhaust cam side in front of the distrubutor with two wires coming out of it,, On obd 1 engines it is integrated into the distributor...

hope this helps, phat

Here you go.

That's a link to Honda Open Terrace website. It is Honda model archive, and it has hte specs on just about every Honda to date, maybe some of the newer ones aren't updated yet, but it will work for you. Engine codes, chassis codes, PS and Kg (you'll have to do some converting to Hp and torque), everything.

Run the webaddress in the webaddress line of this translator, and select Japanese to english and you should be able to navigate the site in english. You can fill in the voids.

And finally someone is right about the brown top ZC. I was told by someone that it was the weakest one of DOHC's, and past one up for $50 complete swap, kick myself in the ass everyday for that one bcause it would have made my US spec SI one hell of a fun ride back in the states.

Check out www.thezcr.com they can tell you every thing you wana know about the zc. ZC's arnt that weak really for boost you could run 7 pounds if you tune it right. B series and D series dont ever match up to my knowlege.

Jeramy

naa dat aint tru y0, you can take spark plugs from a B and swap them into a ZC
;)
seriously though, im not a big fan of the ZC i recommend the D15b sohc vtec over the ZC, they put down the same HP numbers and in the real world experience, they are just as fast, plus the upsides are

d15b shorter stroke- can hold high rpms a little better

the best thing is that its a little newer and more reliable also, i had a d15b in my EG for 8 months this thing spent more time past 7k then at idle, :D and i hadnt had a single problem, i put it in my GF car, and its still runnin tits

ZC engines are 'not really' D-series, it may have the same spec as D-series but only available in DOHC non-VTEC spec rated at 130ps.

At the engine block stamped ZC... not D16 or whatsoever. :p

Originally posted by soulfly@Feb 18 2004, 06:40 PM
ZC engines are 'not really' D-series, it may have the same spec as D-series but only available in DOHC non-VTEC spec rated at 130ps.

At the engine block stamped ZC... not D16 or whatsoever. :p

Dude, get a clue, or don't post here.

Read any one of the links above and then go lick your wounds.

Originally posted by driverunknown@Feb 18 2004, 07:26 PM
0wN3d!!!
ZC is D end of story.

Stop, halt. They are D series family, but there are differences in them enough to get the ZC stamp.

Back