1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b16 head swap

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by buggaboo99355, Mar 12, 2006.

1. buggaboo99355

buggaboo99355 Junior Member

yo, i sold my accord and got $2300 im going to try to get a 99-00 civic. The only problem is, i know i can get one for less than $5000, but i cant get the si,and i really want the DOHC motor. So, i was wondering if i can swap a DOHC si head onto the regular SOHC b16 motor.

Can someone help me out with some info like STEPS and how much it might COST, i can get the dohc head for $150 to $250. but what else would i have to do like WIRING???

Thanks People.

2. HatchSpeeD

HatchSpeeD ...Hi...

Well, first of all a b16 is not a SOHC. You cannot swap a B-series head onto a D-series Block or vice versa. Your best bet if you want the B-series engine is just to swap a b-series in, or buy 99-00 SI (if thats your preference). Either way, it looks like you have to save a little bit more. If you want to just a little bit more power, consider boosting the d-series.

3. buggaboo99355

thanks. so, im pretty much F****D. :cry2:

4. HatchSpeeD

HatchSpeeD ...Hi...

Nah, just do some research. There is plenty of info on this site alone. You can find Integra's or a del sol vtec (The one that came with the b16) which already come with B-series engines for under 5g's. Just look around. Or, do what most of us do...get a civic for cheap & swap it. There are plenty of options out there. Welcome to honda-swap.

5. buggaboo99355

Thanks for the welcome. I'll do some research but i have to have a 99-00 civic with a DOHC, i love the DOHC vtecs, and i love the 99-00 civic.

If I can get a B16 motor for $XXXX would i have to get a tranny to go with it if it came from a 99-00 si?
    if i can use the d series tranny from another 99-00 civic and only need the motor then how much should it cost me to swap the motor other than the price of the b16? Thanks

6. MXDesa

MXDesa Senior Member

B series engines only work with b series transmissions. You cant mix and match different trannies. For example, a B16 could utilize a B16, a LS, a Typr R, etc... trannies because those are all from engines with B coded blocks.

7. buggaboo99355

Sheet, i need madd munee [​IMG]

8. josuedc2

josuedc2 Senior Member

cheap b series swap.buy an integra motor+hydro transmission+axles+shift linkage, ect.Try finding a b series vtec head 1.6 1.7 1.8 any then do an ls vtec.Integra motor in yunk jard where i live is $100 and tranny $100.Vtec head like $200-$500 on ebay.

9. buggaboo99355

damn, ill just save my money and get a si, im really not into the "racing" i just want i car i wont be dissappointed in later. Thanks for all the help people.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted