1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B16 Home-made Turbo

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by Tirado8014, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Tirado8014

Tirado8014 Junior Member

Ok, I have a 2000 civic SI. I was wondering of putting a turbo in there, but I saw the kits and they are very expensive. So I thought maybe I can make my own. I can learn very quickly where stuff goes and everything, but I dunno what stuff to use!!! In other words, can anybody please explain to me what type of turbo I can put into my SI? Has anyone here put a turbo into an SI? Please help!!

2. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

3. calvin

calvin Senior Member

Basic:
    Feul mangement
    Turbo
    Manifold
    BOV
    Intercooler
    Piping

That's the basic

Feul mangement can be: A hondata ecu, FMU, vafc-hack you name it

CALVIN

4. heterosapian

heterosapian Senior Member

add wastegate, boost control and downpipe to list above.
    great, inexpersive fuel managemnet setup is a v/s-afc (the hack sucks, just wire it up like the instructions say and put some check valves on so your ecu doesnt see boost) and some dsm 450cc injectors. You can proly get those two for about 250-350 on dsmtrader.com.
    A t3/t4 seems to be the way to go for the turbo on a b16 but you could always source another used turbo off the millions of turbo cars out there if youre going mad cheap.
    DONT RUN TOO MUCH BOOST OR TIMING ADVANCE!!!
    good luck

5. Ractive78

Ractive78 Senior Member

for the hack, could I use an s-afc? And should I get the newest it can be adjustd in Adjustable fuel increments of 200 rpm .

6. hybridsol

hybridsol Senior Member

don't worry about the boost controler and wastegate, cause chances are if you are building a cheap kit (i.e. junkyard kit) your proly going to have an internal wastegate already, and with that you aren't goin to need the controler unless your building your internals so they can handle the build up

7. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

safc doesn't have VTEC control, other than that, it IS a vafc.

8. SolReaver

SolReaver Senior Member

ehhh- i dont see how the afc is gonna let you run 450cc injectors unless you cut the fuel percentage way down, in that case it would BE the afc hack- tricking the ecu into thinking its in vaccuum, advancing the timing :thumbsdown: :sleep:

9. whatdahieu

whatdahieu Senior Member

on homemadeturbo.com the problem with building your own turbo they say is you can't keep your a/c (well from the cars they spooled anyways)so if you care about being cool don't do it (unless you live in alaska or something) buy a kit and if no one makes one retrofit it :D

10. Civic_88ls

Civic_88ls Senior Member

u can keep ur a/c, but u would have to get a turbo manifold that would let u keep ur a/c.. ;)

11. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

How does it even interfere with the AC. The compressor is on the opposite side of the manifold as the turbo?

12. RFHOMI2U

RFHOMI2U Senior Member

On homemadeturbo.com, they put the turbo on the driver's side of the manifold, which is different than most after-maker manifolds and turbo kits. They did this because it is easier to run the charge-pipes on the driver's side and remove the a/c. It can be done either way tho.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted