B16 (how to ) BIG compression increase ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xchipx

n/a
Ok so the title sounds a bit n00b ish , however i know the basics on compression such as using higher comp pistons, flat faced valves , modify comp area etc.
However what im unsure about is what pistons i can put into the b16a1 ( euro b16a ) to bump up the compression a couple of points.

my stock engine (in theory) should be runing at approx 10.2:1 comp. I am going all motor and ive already selected my valves + cam. what im worried about is increasing compression by getting high comp pistons ( or i can skim the head right? ) .... and having valve to piston issues. where i live ( in the uk ) our gas at the pumps comes in 95 and 98 , so i may be able to run high comp with less issues than most usa gas .... but like i said im worried about piston to valve issues.... the cams have a hair over 12mm lift.

any ideas? im aiming for comp around the 12:1 and above area. someone i know is selling itr pistons ( not sure if they are usdm or jdm yet ) for pretty cheap, however im guessing they will only give me just over 10.5:1 comp...
So any ideas? :)

hmm looking at things ctr pistons is going to be my best option eh? (guessing 10.95:1 comp )but to further increase compression can you change the head , or just machine the one i have ? thinner h/g? i may be able to get hold of b18c4 heads over here , someone mentioned they are higher comp than the b16a head , however not sure if the valves sizes and port efficiency is the same

Last edited:
you can get like CP pistons or another brand in any variation and compression level you want. Get some aftermarket rods cuz the wrist pins arnt the same (honda's fairly proprietary with theirs). Eagle, to name one for rods.

the information is around, look some more

o yeah and all B16/B18's pistons are interchangable (look at the bore of the cylinder).

ah but i was planning on staying with stock pistons - so i guess ctr pistons it is and a bit of head milling or something... any ideas ? i dont want ratly forged pistons ;)

? why dont you want forged pistons again? you seem to have an incorrect outlook on this type of stuff

you will have to get your rods machined to fit the CTR pistons on the stock b16a rods. Stock b16a rods are two wide to fit the CTR pistons.

CP pistons or aftermarket pistons can yeild a higher compression and you can find one that will fit on your stock rods. Unless you are trying to do a OEM build.
I say go with a thinner head gasket, once you mill the head you cant go back, with a h/g you can.

Hate to thread Jack but...
Does any one know what CTR pistons will yeild in a b16a w/ stock b16a rods?
according to ZealAutowerks - Honda Compression Calculator it get up to 11.91:1 that does not sound right does it?

Forged pistons rattle and burn oil on startup.... i know ill have to machine the stock rods and all to fit ctr. how much compression points can you get by reducing headgasket thickness?

hmm yeah like he said the calculator shows an 11.91:1 comp ratio just with the ctr pistons , 12.18 with 2 layer h/g and 12.6 with 1 layer !!
however is that calculators figures correct? like domi said those figures sound high..

well if that calculator is correct, then ctr pistons will suite the job just fine :) do you guys think ill have piston / valve issues ?

I'm pretty sure they didn't take into account the different compression height of the CTR piston. The girl(I think it's a girl) that runs the Zeal calculator constantly updates it with new/correct information.

hmm well thanks blanco, ive trawled through a ton of posts . no one is really sure though and many argue differences and they are seeing like 1 whole point difference. people say the calculators are right then in their next post say they are wrong. im not even sure if the ctr pistons will fit the b16a head - the ctr valves are set at 60degree , the b16a is 45 iirc. The only person can find who changed them on a b16 was omniman, and he put a type r head on it anyway ! Oh and he had to mill the head + ff valves to get into the 11.x :1 compression ratios

There was a huge debate on H-T. The piston was measure, etc. Full CTR piston specs are listed on Catman's website(FF-Squad).

If you're talking about the angle of the combustion chamber, it should work just fine. They're the same head casting IIRC. CTR pistons will fit in a B16A, just search on H-T. People have put it in their B18s with zero issues.

yeah ive sen ffsquad now thanks. right ctr pistons it is then. i can get stock honda ones or some aftermarket oem ones. do you think there would be much difference?
the only thing that i was curious about is the angle of valves on the head - 60 on the ctr head vs 45 on b16a head.

see this is what i mean everywhere is a different story. however the c speed calculator is supposed to be wrong

Back