B16 in 94 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tomogchi

Hello all;

Im not exactly new to the world of hondas, just more or less fed up with the stupid d15b7 motor in my civic. Second motor im on, got one rebuild out of first block, then oil pump said bye bye. Got the second block, rebuilt it, now 30k later it lost all hope of compression (i deliever pizzas for a living, and im not exactly nice to this motor because im fed up with it). Still on the original tranny, and i was trying to devore it for the longest time. Kudos for honda on that. But not the motor.

So screw the d15. I'm getting my hands on a b16 *out of an 89 teg, 5 speed tranny* I believe it has lsd, but im not exactly sure. (which b16 is in that teg anyways?)
My civics currently auto, so what am i going to need to convert this to the larger brother?
Im assuming that the manual and auto cv half shafts have different spline patterns, but which set will i need?
B series or d series motor/tranny mounts?
I know im going to be hacking a wiring harness, i already have one from the old motor, ready for a 5 speed.
Shift linkage?
What else. (im sorry, you guys prolly answear 90 of these a day)
Thanks,
Bill

you aren't really going to be able to use that engine in that car. I would suggest a b16 with an auto tranny from a 92+civic or 94+integra, it would make things a hell of alot easier than trying to convert your car.
also I dont think the 89 integra came with a b16, unless its a jdm 89 teg, in which case it would be a 90 teg here.
the tranny coming with the engine from the 89 teg would be a cable tranny and if you wanted to do the conversion you would need a hydro tranny OR a conversion kit that would run you about 100 bucks.
axles would have to be from a 93 integra to work with that engine/trans setup.
you would have to completely change over the fuel injectors, water temp sensors and distributor in order to get the engine to work on your obd1 vehicle.
also you would need an engine mount conversion kit froma company such as hasport (egb1 kit, which would include the tranny conversion, but not all of the other stuff to make your car manual)
I think it would just be easier for you to sell the engine that you are getting and pick up one from a company such as japanstar, you can check them out at Japanese Star Motor - JSM Montreal
that will have what you need as far as an obd 1 engine with auto tranny and the ecu to make it all work.
You would in essence use your old engine harness to put the new engine into the car.

you aren't really going to be able to use that engine in that car. I would suggest a b16 with an auto tranny from a 92+civic or 94+integra, it would make things a hell of alot easier than trying to convert your car.
also I dont think the 89 integra came with a b16, unless its a jdm 89 teg, in which case it would be a 90 teg here.
the tranny coming with the engine from the 89 teg would be a cable tranny and if you wanted to do the conversion you would need a hydro tranny OR a conversion kit that would run you about 100 bucks.
axles would have to be from a 93 integra to work with that engine/trans setup.
you would have to completely change over the fuel injectors, water temp sensors and distributor in order to get the engine to work on your obd1 vehicle.
also you would need an engine mount conversion kit froma company such as hasport (egb1 kit, which would include the tranny conversion, but not all of the other stuff to make your car manual)
I think it would just be easier for you to sell the engine that you are getting and pick up one from a company such as japanstar, you can check them out at Japanese Star Motor - JSM Montreal
that will have what you need as far as an obd 1 engine with auto tranny and the ecu to make it all work.
You would in essence use your old engine harness to put the new engine into the car.

Yes Agreed .I am in the process of swaping my motor for a JDM B16A2 motor.
Go JDM for a B16 reason being that in Japan the 92-95 EG came with a B16A2
DOHC Vtec Motor 170hp.

Direct swap, harnes and all.

Here are a few websites to help you out, infact i think this will get you everything you need

JDM Honda Parts, JDM Honda Engines / JDM Nissan Motor Swaps, Used JDM Parts - Password JDM
They have the complete motor swap
only if your car is a DX or CX
Rywire - Online Store
They carrie the Vtec oil pressure sensor, Vtec sensor ,knock sensor and the O2 x- tension you may need.

not sure if they have auto trannys though. Any B series auto should sufice.

you will need about $3,000.00-3,500.00 to complete not including some tools you may need to buy.

Back