B16 mods

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hatch8

I have a B16 with a type r head and high compression pistons. I have a cold air, ehaust, headers and intake manifold. What else can I do to increase horsepower and torque. Also, do those chips they sell on ebay for $20 do anything? Thanks.

I have heard mixed emotins about those chips some people say they work and are awesome and some say they suck. What they are supposed to do is just reset your rev limiter and adjust your air to fuel ratio, but just because they got 20hp out of one Civic does not mean another one will do the same. The only other things you could do are throttle body, intake manifold, and maybe do some fuel management like fuel rail, bigger injectors, fuel pump. If you get one of those chips you may want to do your valve train i.e. dual valve springs and titanium retainers.

If you want real performance get some kind of engine management, like hondata, and tune that bitch. BTW, those ebay things don't work.

forget the $20 chip. go to racingchips.com. u can get a pre-set chip for $45 or a kick ass custom one for $55. this includes rev limiter, vtec switch point, and tons of other things.

Tune your own chip. That's the best way.

For more power, definitely get your engine tuned properly on a dyno. It's the best money you'll spend to maximize the potential of your engine. If you want to pick up more parts, I would go for a set of more aggressive cams- like a set that's ground with a profile similar to Jun's Type 3 cams. Get the proper springs and retainers to match up with the hotter cams.

Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy@Oct 25 2004, 08:43 PM
forget the $20 chip. go to racingchips.com. u can get a pre-set chip for $45 or a kick ass custom one for $55. this includes rev limiter, vtec switch point, and tons of other things.
[post=407370]Quoted post[/post]​

It's the same thing. The ones from ebay are just cheaper (mostly).

Hopefully you get the right program for your ecu, and that it actually has the right info on it.

Hondata is better by far tho, but you pay.

the thing about chips is there tuned for one specific setup and chances are its not your setup. The only real way to get power out of a a chip is if it was tuned for your car IE geting hondata and geting it tuned. But befor i did that i would go for some bigger better cams and valve train. Inless by typeR head you mean the cams too, then i would consider keeping the cams and geting it tuned or maybe still geting bigger better cams. But if your idea of more power is like 10-30 better cams are what its gonna take.

Back