1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b16 oil pump

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by skellagher, Jan 9, 2011.

1. skellagher

skellagher Elder Driver

so as preventive maintenece i wanna replace my oil pump im going to use a 96-01 gsr oil pump due to rumor having a higher oil pressure than my oem one does.. my question is how do i get the timing belt gear off so i can take the oil pump off? i jus wanna know before i tear it apart

2. hondafreak513

hondafreak513 New Member

Sometimes they pull right off, or you can use a pully puller. Or lightly pry it off with a screw driver but its not the best way..

3. HATCHET_HONDA

HATCHET_HONDA scottie fizzle

it should come off with lil force. my d series i had to use a pry bar very carefully to wiggle it off. i damaged the oil pump a bit but thats what i was replacing anyways

4. skellagher

skellagher Elder Driver

i just dont want to damage the crank or anything so just asking... im doing t.belt w.pump oil pump all gaskets and a walboro fuel pump and building my head...cant wait for tax time im getting a set of stage 2 brian crower cams

5. vtecsir1

vtecsir1 Senior Member

fyi obd2 b series oil pumps are all the same even for the non vtec.

6. skellagher

skellagher Elder Driver

yea i just found that out

7. TegMugen

TegMugen New Member

Hey Skell,

I'm pretty sure you've already gotten this resolved, but for future readers, it's important to not underestimate the crank pulley bolt. If it's your 1st timing belt/oil pump/water pump change, the bolt will be really on there. I was able to undo it with a 1/2" Impact Wrench from Harbor Freight [$49 awesome deal btw] and a little heat from a blowtorch I got @ HDepot. [$35, came with it's own mini Propane tank]. But only 2 days of hitting it with the impact wrench and 3 extensions later. After about 2mins of applying heat on the 2nd day, on and off of course, you don't wanna heat it for minutes at a time since there are seals and components that can be affected by too much heat, the bolt gave in. So torch for for 1 min, hit it with the impact, let it cool for 3mins, and repeat process. It could take you 5mins or it can take you an hr. Mine was on there so well, that I snapped three extensions using the Honda Pulley Tool, 2 of the extensions were impact. My breaker bar did hold up well though.

Something else worth mentioning is, since you're down there, you may as well replace your timing belt, tensioner and water pump. Beware of water pump bolts, they tend to freeze after 100k+ miles, so lots of PB Blaster and maybe even a little heat before applying torque to loosen. Trust me on this, I snapped one taking it off and had to drill and extract it. Involved having to lift the engine, no, forget it, it was a mission. Avoid it all with Patience...it will be your greatest tool.

Good luck everyone.
    - Seth

8. TegMugen

TegMugen New Member

The water pump bolts tend to freeze because the longer you wait to replace it, the more moisture they take - causing them to rust in.

9. dc4dude

dc4dude Member

or.... you can buy the holding tool (for like 45 bucks) and take it off on the first try... without using and impact gun on the crankshaft... and heating up the crankshaft... two things i wouldnt recommend doing to precision items like crankshafts, and main bearings....

10. skellagher

skellagher Elder Driver

appriciated but already done and no this is not my first go on a timing belt just the oil pump ill post pics soon i just redid my engine harness to cause it was all hacked up....

11. skellagher

skellagher Elder Driver

and trust me spend the few dollars on hondabond too definitly worth it

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted