b16 or ls

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chrism1829

Getcha Mind Right
Ok here is the deal.I have a whole ls.(91) and i can also get a ls with mounts and everything.But it is a 92 with obd1...The thing is i have a 91 hatch dx. is it worth converting it to obd1 or keeping the 91 engine and puting that in..or should i go with a vtec??..i need some advice..i read up on it alittle.but didnt get my answers..i need some advice....
1: should i keep the 91 ls
2: should i keep the 92 obd1
3: or should i go vtec??...
i was talking to a go on hondaswap..i forgot who..and he said that a ls turbo is the way to go..??i am so confused i dont know what to go with..

keep the 91 LS, sell the 92 LS to get some money to throw into the obd1 LS.

b16 = horsepower
LS = torque

torque wins races, hp sells cars, which do you wanna do?

Originally posted by cointelpro@Dec 26 2003, 01:22 AM
keep the 91 LS, sell the 92 LS to get some money to throw into the obd1 LS.

b16 = horsepower
LS = torque

torque wins races, hp sells cars, which do you wanna do?

torque=how much it can move, hp=how fast it can move it

depends, if your going for a rebuild it doesnt matter. but if you going to do a straight drop in, just drop the 91. your not going to feel a diff between the 91 & 92. just buy a ys1 short geared trans and youll be pretty happy. also it depends on how fast & how much money you want to drop.

Wait, so you have a 91 integra LS and a 91 civic dx hb, and you want to know what motor you should drop into your civic? If the answer is yes to the above, I would say keep the LS in the teg, and go buy either an LS motor out of a 90-91 integra, or go with a B16a. And k2e2vin, don't start with the torque/hp deal, because there are already locked threads that deal with that. The answer is whichever motor you think will suit your needs and you can get at an acceptable price. If you are looking to strap something in your civic that will give you juice right out of the box, get a b18a obd0, they have lots of get up and go, especially in your light little car. If you are looking to build an engine, I'd say go with a b16a, since they are a little more revvable and have a better bottom end geometry, but you are gonna have to put some extra dough to make it into something you like, cuz like every one says on this site, the stock b16a is the torqueless wonder.

Well the thing is i dont know what i want *l*..thats y i am asking...i can get a 92 ls..just the motor and mounts..and everything i need for 700..i bought a 91 ls nothing wrong with it..just hate to take it apart..but i cant get a title for it..i bought it for 600 motor just rebuilt...but i could always get rid of that..and buy a b16..but i just dont know what to do....but it seems that everyone likes the ls..but y???

hey chrism1829 you bought the car w/o a title? ok well think of it like this. you already have a complete motor, engine harness, ecu harness, ecu, and axles [im not 100% sure if the axles fit [perfectly]. all you need is Hasport mounts/Place racing/etc and a shift linkage [not sure if you modify the integra one or just buy a new one]. you could buy all that for the same price as the 92ls.

reason why alot of people favor b18a is because they are real cheap & more plentiful than b16a's. both have their pro's & con's all depends on what YOU want.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Dec 26 2003, 04:46 AM
Wait, so you have a 91 integra LS and a 91 civic dx hb, and you want to know what motor you should drop into your civic? If the answer is yes to the above, I would say keep the LS in the teg, and go buy either an LS motor out of a 90-91 integra, or go with a B16a. And k2e2vin, don't start with the torque/hp deal, because there are already locked threads that deal with that. The answer is whichever motor you think will suit your needs and you can get at an acceptable price.

lets just say that the fastest drag cars, top fuel, are always looking for more hp.

yeah i mean if you have no title for the TEG, then its pretty worthless. so yank the motor and trans and all of that stuff and drop it in the civic. trust me the torqueless engine that comes stock in the civic versus the ls. wow what a difference. plus if you have driven the ls..... just picture it with like a 50 shot of nos. thats pretty much what it would be like in the civic. because of the civic weighing like 500 punds less. good luck

Im probbaly gonna go ls turbo..but i am not sure still yet...i am not sure if i am gonna even gonna keep the car..i might just buy one that is complete....

if i were you i would just throw the b18a in the civic and let it rip. then if u get tired of that take it out sell all your shit and get a GSR then u would be set. or if u want to get really crazy what u do is take the LS and go LS VTEC and that is a kick ass fast motor but i u really do it right well you might be running race gas my friend was looking for an all motor car and was goin to do it but race gas made him not so we just went with a b16 all motor car instead

you dont need to run race gas with an LS/VTEC, just either do your homework and build it right [no skimping on parts] or pay a reputable shop to build it for you.

:werd:
Don't even bother with the 92 ls motor. It has the wrong wiring for your chassis. Just take the ls out of your integra that doesn't have a title, because a car without a title is worthless for street use. Don't go buy one that's already built, unless you know that the seller knew what he was doing and has receipts. good luck.

Ok thanks for the replys..i am still undecided...now a friend of mine as a gsr...for sale..he was asking what he paid for it..that was 2700..but i got him down to 1200..but i know the motor his shot i think at least...i mean it ran good but he was getting beat by stock cars *l*...i dont think he had his vtec hooked up right..or at all..a local shop did the swap..and if he dont like u he wont work on your car right...its the kinda place..where u get a swap and a few days later your car/motor is gone *l*....but still i am not sure what i wanna do...i might just get rid of it...but thanks again
chris

Originally posted by chrism1829@Jan 2 2004, 04:25 AM
its the kinda place..where u get a swap and a few days later your car/motor is gone

I hate those people worse than I hate thieves. They give reputable people that are cool a bad name. Be careful; that gsr sounds like a great deal, blown or not.

Yeah i know it sounds great..i just have no time..i can get so many good deals..but there is always sets backs and certain things that ruin the good deal anyway..im putting out way to much money...for all these JUNK/ half ass things..like last night i bought a 97 civic ex..with a blown motor..blitz body kit..tsw rims system...etc etc..for 2000...all it needs is a motor..i just dont have time *l*..but i will make some money on it..And to top it all off *l*..the guys who put the motor are the same people who fucked up eveyones cars *l*...he bought the car 7 months ago..the stock motor blew..they he had this shop put it in...1 month later blew..only runing on 2 cyls...oh well..

i owned a 90 LS (now own 91 DX)and LS have torque like a mother, but if i were to swap a motor, id just go with a 1.6 DOHC and save my self a headach, and boost like a mutha :)

out of a b16 and b18, id prolly get a b16. its a 1.6 so its more torque than a 1.5L And has vtec. the only reason why i would get the 1.6 over 1.8 is because of a higher rev limit. im all about boosting cars, and extra few k of reline is nice.

if i were you i'd sell the ls motor and get a b16. ls gotta some torque but nothing on the high end but with the b 16 when v-tec hits you'll be gone especially in a light car like the civic, but if you wanna go turbo it's up to you but not really depedable depending on the boost and if you're a daily driver.

Originally posted by chrism1829@Dec 26 2003, 06:58 AM
Well the thing is i dont know what i want *l*..thats y i am asking...i can get a 92 ls..just the motor and mounts..and everything i need for 700..i bought a 91 ls nothing wrong with it..just hate to take it apart..but i cant get a title for it..i bought it for 600 motor just rebuilt...but i could always get rid of that..and buy a b16..but i just dont know what to do....but it seems that everyone likes the ls..but y???

I duno its just got the most displacement(except for the b20) Longer stroke larger bore. Great for boost. AND CHEAP!

Back