b16 problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

OK here it is guys i have a b16a2 in my 97 civic lx, i have a p28 ECU, i bought a obd2a (car) to obd1 (ECU) so i got the engine running but with the stock p2e ECU and it runs so good but no vtec and the error codes i had was all obd2 stuff (secondary o2 sensor, primary and secondary heat o2 sensor things). i plug in the chipped p28 and it idles all over the place up down over and over. i did the IACV conversion on the wiring and i have a check engine like on. here is the problem with that i can't get the codes with the obd1 ECU. i plug in the same clip i was using to read the error codes from the obd2 ECU did the same thing with the obd1 ECU and the light just stays on. what could it be? is the ECU just no good? i took the chip out same thing put the chip in same thing nothing is working with this obd1 ECU what could it be? o yeah and the other thing is with both ECU's my SRS light just stays on what could cause that?

this is what the chip says on it

ecu: p08/p28/p30/p61/p91
vtec 4400 redline 9100
PGM Jun/Toda
p/n p30j4491020

that is exactly what it says on it, but why is it that i can't get the codes from the obd1 ecu but i can get it from the obd2 ecu?

For one I would bet this chip is much tooo agressive. The jun/toda probably refers to the cams and hardware that this profile matches. The V-tec crossover should be about 5800 for this engine stock, and the fuel cutoff around 8200. God knows what you have there. I would go over to pgmfi.org and see if some one can burn you a stock sir II chip for your P28 minus the knock sensor stuff. Or PM nfn150337 or projecteg on this board they might be able to help you.

Originally posted by friz@Dec 16 2004, 10:41 PM
For one I would bet this chip is much tooo agressive. The jun/toda probably refers to the cams and hardware that this profile matches. The V-tec crossover should be about 5800 for this engine stock, and the fuel cutoff around 8200. God knows what you have there. I would go over to pgmfi.org and see if some one can burn you a stock sir II chip for your P28 minus the knock sensor stuff. Or PM nfn150337 or projecteg on this board they might be able to help you.
[post=433437]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks for the info with the chip but i still would like to know why the ecu is not giving me the cel codes i think the ecu is just no good

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Dec 16 2004, 02:47 PM
o yeah and the other thing is with both ECU's my SRS light just stays on what could cause that?
[post=433246]Quoted post[/post]​

The SRS light being on is totally separate from your ECU issues. Something is wrong with your airbag system when that light is on.

Is your 02 sensor working?

for my obd2 ecu i have the primary o2 sensor working but i don't have the second one plugged in because i don't have a cat with a bung on it i will be getting one over my christmas break but on the p28 i can't read any codes at all on it the light just stays on and when i put the pin in to read the codes it just stays on, what could that be?

Just a guess here, but you can't pull codes from a obd2 ecu the way you can from an obd1 ecu. I think that if you go to an Autozone, they can pull the code for you with a special scanning tool. Now I think that nfn15037 put some sort of toggle switch on his conversion wiring harnesses so that codes could be pulled from a car with an obd2 ecu.

About your obd1 ecu not working with your car also, I don't know. Maybe there is an issue with your wiring conversion harness.

<--- Loves having obd1 cars.

now i know for a fact that i can pull the codes off the obd1 ecu the same way i can from my obd2 ecu because i used my boys p06 and i was able to get the cel to blink and it told me code 14 which was IAVC or something like that i fixed it and it ran smoothly but again it was a p06 which is nonvtec so i can't use it i put the p28 and the cel engine light stays solid does that me Code 0 which means the ecu is no good? and i used the technique to do the cel codes from when i had a 95 civic and it is the same thing the connector is in the same spot!

Back