B16 S/n

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chap_e77

is there a way to tell what year my engine is from by the s/n?

its hard to tell from the S/N on the block but u can tell what gen they are B16A with a 1xxxxxx s/n is first gen B16A with 5xxxxxxx is 2nd gen, the easiest way to tell is on the head jus above the exhaust manifold there are 2 sets of 2 numbers in a circle divided by a line and one set is a casting numebr i believe and the other set is the last 2 digits of the year the motor was made for example if it was made in 96 the number would look like this 9|6 with a circle around it

Originally posted by ksrcivic@May 17 2003, 05:41 AM
but u can tell what gen they are B16A with a 1xxxxxx s/n is first gen B16A with 5xxxxxxx is 2nd gen,

Hmmm.....
s3eb8ce8de30e9.jpg

O im sorry i forgot to mention that what I posted before is about JDM B16A motors, the one that say B16A only, and not B16A2 or B16A3 which are the USDM versions, but the part about the year stamp on the head is still the same, but this only works for the head, since the head can be taken off easily it is possible for you to have an older/newer bottom end than the head, but if you know that they have not been seperated then u know the year the motor was made

Here are some pics of my JDM B16A 2nd Gen stamp the pic is bad so you cannot see it begins with the 5 on the serial number the other numbers u see stamped are the numbers that nippon motors stamped on it when i bought it from them

s3ec67d3ab98ce.jpg

Here is the year stamp on my b16a head which shows its a 96

s3ec67d45e57f8.jpg

Here is the engine stamp from a 2000 Usdm Civic Si

s3ec67d2e88b8d.jpg

Back