B16 SiR II into a 92 Civic Dx Hatch question (Wiring VTEC?)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bd122789

I have a 1992 Honda Civic Dx Hatch. It has a sohc non-vtec engine. I just recently bought a B16 SiR II and I am unsure on how to run the vtec to the car since my car did not originally have vtec. Do I need to run something to the ecu? Do I need to run a wire somewhere else? Please help, thanks.

Here's some information about wiring that you might find helpful. You can use the DX harness. Only '92 civics (no matter what trim level) came from the factory wired for VTEC. The VTEC wiring only runs from the ECU to the cannon plugs on you passenger side shock tower. The engine harness side of that cannon plug does not have VTEC wires on it, because there is no VTEC solenoid on the DX engine. All you will have to do for wiring is add the wires from the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch into the cannon plug if you would like that factory look. You can get the pins at your local Honda dealer for free. Attatch the wires to the pins and push the pins into the cannon plug, then reconnect the cannon plug and viola you have VTEC. When it comes to the knock sensor, just go straight to the ECU. I have a '92 DX hatch with a '95 SiR II engine in it, and I used my DX harness. If you can get your hands on a '95 SiR II engine, it will be even more simple. The '95 SiR II engine only needs one wire for the VTEC solenoid, and one wire for the knock solenoid. The VTEC pressure switch wire was eliminated in '95. Here's another place to go for pinout information and wiring, .: FF-SQUAD.COM [v.2] :. and click on the info net link. Hope that helps!

Here's some information about wiring that you might find helpful. You can use the DX harness. Only '92 civics (no matter what trim level) came from the factory wired for VTEC. The VTEC wiring only runs from the ECU to the cannon plugs on you passenger side shock tower. The engine harness side of that cannon plug does not have VTEC wires on it, because there is no VTEC solenoid on the DX engine. All you will have to do for wiring is add the wires from the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch into the cannon plug if you would like that factory look. You can get the pins at your local Honda dealer for free. Attatch the wires to the pins and push the pins into the cannon plug, then reconnect the cannon plug and viola you have VTEC. When it comes to the knock sensor, just go straight to the ECU. I have a '92 DX hatch with a '95 SiR II engine in it, and I used my DX harness. If you can get your hands on a '95 SiR II engine, it will be even more simple. The '95 SiR II engine only needs one wire for the VTEC solenoid, and one wire for the knock solenoid. The VTEC pressure switch wire was eliminated in '95. Here's another place to go for pinout information and wiring, .: FF-SQUAD.COM [v.2] :. and click on the info net link. Hope that helps!

Thanks that is a lot of help, but I do have two more questions. Where would you wire the knock sensor into the ECU? Also will the existing exhaust of the car hook up with the new engine directly?

Last edited:

Thanks that was a lot of help, but I do have one more question. Where would you wire the knock sensor into the ECU?

i thought all 92's were wired for vtec already

Back