b16 swap with cracked block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bfunk

i've been driving and building rx-7's for the past 5 years and hardly know anything about honda's ok here is what i got. i have a 94 civic si that runs great with a chipped p30 ecu and runs great but not all that powerful. i also have a first generation b16 swap that i got from a friend of mine 300.00 bucks it has a cracked block i was wondering if just any b series block would work on it like a b16b or maybe even a b18c and if it does would i have to change anything or would it just bolt right up and what type of hp and torque would i be looking at.

do some reading.

you can use an LS (b18a/b block) or a b18c1, b18c5 or a b20 block even.

you are looking at a more expensive setup.. but way worth it once it is done.

yes you can use the block from another b-series motor. you'll need to get a new head gasket of the block your using such as a gsr head gasket if you're going to use a b18c1 block. if you're going to use a b18b1, b18a2, b20b, b20b4 or b20z2 block you'll need more than just a head gasket to get it to run right. because they are all non VTEC blocks. if you use a b16 or b18c1 or any other VTEC block then you'll be fine

how much more expensive would it be all i need is the vtec block and a new head gasket to match the block right, would i need anything else to make it work

well if you get an LS block.. you'll need to modify it for the oil line and tap the head to block of the oil passage there. it's not that much more involved but worth it in the end... go to the reference section and read the lsvtec article

Good luck finding a short block b16, b16b, or b18c. I have a cracked block now and couldn't find a short block anywhere that was cheaper than a long block. So I'm going LS now. :D

i've got a tall deck b16 block sitting at the shop with no oil pan. but everything else is there...

one of the uber rare b16a 1 million series that came in obd1

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Mar 2 2004, 01:42 PM
b18a2

Mad hardcore JDM uh?

There is no such thing as a B18A2... it's A1 y0. Just thought I'd help.

To keep it simple just buy a GSR(B18C-C1), SIR (B16A1-2-3) or Type R (B18C3-5) block, as they are all VTEC and basically all you do is bolt the head to the block using the blocks headgasket, new head studs or OEM bolts, new water pump and timing belt. Good luck.

i have a freshly meachined b16 block, that has standard size bore, crank, rods pistons, oil pan, it still needs a oil pump, a water pump, gaskets, bearings, starter, and alternator. Hit me up if you are interested.

if i went with a different block like a gsr or ctr or even a itr block would this increase the torqe if not i guess i will go with a b16 block

more displacement, yes........

not sure about the 16b though it probably will give a tab more upmf...

b16b is still taller deck height, and thus more stroke, than a b16a, and will give a little more power.

really, it comes down to your budget. how much do you want to spend on this thing. i can offer suggestions from about 400 bucks to about 5000 bucks =0

i don't want to really spend more than a 1000 right now little tight on budget but i would like to maybe since the motor is apart to build it so that i would be able to hold a little boost not much or so maybe 8-10 psi but i'm not sure if 1000 dollars would go far on that type of build so maybe i'll just stick with the na for a while till i get more money

Back