B16 Timing Belt on LS??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AllMotorSi

Ok, i'm putting an LS motor in my 92 CX hatch, and I've already got a B16 timing belt (that was originally for my 99si), GSR Water pump and STR cam gears. A shop in my area told me that as long as i change my water pump that belt would fit. Well i put the STR cam gears on, put the water pump on, and the belt does not fit. To me it does not seem long enough. When they told me the B16 belt would fit, i thought i would have to use a gsr belt because i thought that B18 blocks were physically taller. Is this the case or do i just need to try harder? Thanks in advance.

i dont think it will work. the ls is much taller then the b16 so yes the belt will be too short. just get the right timming belt for the engine.

Once you switch to a GSR water pump, you can't use the LS belt because there are 19 teeth on a LS pump, and 22 on the GSR and any other vtec B-series water pump. If i were to put an LS belt on, it would be destroyed shortly. I guess i will just have to buy a GSR belt since that seems to be the solution.

correct, the gsr belt is your solution if you are running gsr water pump

Back