b16?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92si

alright tell me what you guys think about the famous b16 swap, tell me if you think if it is a waste of money or they are worth the money, it would be going into a 92 hatch. tell me your set-ups if you have this swap, and if you like it or not, and regret it, please give me you opinions.

alright, first off, do a search... it has all the + and - of the swap. And second off, you were just talking about how wonderful a B18B swap would be, what happened to it? My .02, is that if you just want a motor that you don't plan on doing anything else except bolt-ons, go with the B18C, if you plan to go all out go With either a B16, or a B18 non-vtec. Maybe that'll help.

i have a b16. b16 are no all that bad but it just depands on u. if u are willing to buy it, u will like it. if u dont buy it, u will hate it. well its all on u. its stronger and faster than any d series motor and thats for sure. just get what ever u want and be happy

if you are staying pretty much stock, go with the b18c, it ain't the same, or even close to a b16 in a hatch. a b16 in a hatch is still in the mid to upper 15's, usually, with a driver. a b18c in a hatch shouldn't have a problem hit'n high 14's. that's a bigger difference than it sounds.
b18's usually arn't a whole lot more money so if your going to spend 2k on a 1.6, why not spend 2.5k on a 1.8 and be a lot faster.
also, check around awhile for donor cars at local junk yards. you might be supprised. i found an Ls complete swap at some hillbilly junk yard for 750. just do a check before you order one off the net or somewhere you pay retail.
later.

Originally posted by indeskater@Dec 16 2003, 08:28 AM
a b16 in a hatch is still in the mid to upper 15's, usually, with a driver.

"Usually with a driver", no shit, you need a driver? And if you're hitting upper 15's then you should 1. learn how to drive, or 2. move out of the mountians. Mid 14's is good, and people have hit high 13's with a B16 and bolt ons in hatch's.

Originally posted by 92si@Dec 15 2003, 09:41 PM
alright tell me what you guys think about the famous b16 swap, tell me if you think if it is a waste of money or they are worth the money, it would be going into a 92 hatch. tell me your set-ups if you have this swap, and if you like it or not, and regret it, please give me you opinions.

Seeing as the B16 is one of the best engines that Honda ever made and there are thousands of them for sale right now and the price hasn't changed even with the new K series engines out there..... nah, it sucks don't waste your money

get yourself a nice German engine or a 4G63 or something that else that will be inexpensive to fix and highly reliable and you will be much happier

it all comes down to money and how much you want to spend.... me I went with the B16a because it was a thousand less than a B18c1 and it is still almost twice as powerful than my old D engine.

I'm running a JDM b16a with a hydro tranny and factory LSD in my 92 civic sedan and it is incredible. Basically not other mods except a new exhaust (the old one rotted off) The extra 70 ponies this engine got me is enough to keep my power cravings down for a while and right now I'm just working on beefing up the sedans absent suspension

Vtec shouldn't really be the decision breaker between the b16a an the b18b.... it should be torque, gearing, optional factory lsd, cost, and inteded use.....

if you are going to get serious about this and do some engine building and go hardcore N/A then I'd say go with a b16 because it allready has a really good flowing head. if you want to go turbo... b18b
if you don't want to do anything but drop it in and bolt some shiny stuff on to it, then I would say b16 because it has better gearing and optional lsd and more power than the b18b
if you have the money to drop then I'd say get a b18c1 but if you want to save a grand (like me) then you will still be happy with a b16

for the whole b18b build i decided it would be alot of time and money in the end, i want something to drop in with bolt ons and be quick. guess it is going to be between b16 or b18c1 swap for me, in the long run i will be building the motor. so it is better to save for the b18c1 swap?

if u have money for a b18c then get it
if u want sacrafice a lil power for reliabilty get the b16 and u will also save $

b16 is very reliable and will satifsy your needs for speed

Simple as this is you really want a B18C1, save up for one. If you in a rush and you cant' wait get anything. Get what b16 engine thats in your price range. :spin:

Originally posted by h22bubbleback@Dec 16 2003, 09:56 PM
if u have money for a b18c then get it
if u want sacrafice a lil power for reliabilty get the b16 and u will also save $

b16 is very reliable and will satifsy your needs for speed

The is nothing unreliable about a B18C.

Originally posted by B18C1civic96@Dec 16 2003, 05:48 PM
b18c1 is more powerful than the b16 but with right set up a b16 can scream

The truth is, the motors are very similar. The B18C is better for those who want to have a quick hybrid with very little mods. It is a great motor but is more expensive to get than a B16A.

The B16A is almost the same (same final power JDM B16A vs USDM B18C) but -.2 liters of displacement. IMO, it really aint that big a deal.

Usually B18C is the main choice, but the B16 can also be one too. i built a friend's B16 with a Toda 2.0 stroker kit, ITR tranny, block guarded, blueprinted with minor bolt ons. ran high 13's. not bad. but with that money in a B16, you could go faster. it's really up to you.

Back