b16a dohc vtec into a 91 integra

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

preludeb20a5

Hey guys I was wondering if any body has done a b16a dohc vtec into a 89-91 integra, and can help me out. I purchased a b16a dohc vtec from a guy that bought it from japan for his son but his son died racing before they could put it in. I have the motor, 5 speed trans, alt, power steering pump. A bought a pr3 ecu obd0 and I have a chance to buy a 90 integra for 500 with a b18b1 with a cylinder down. I want to put the b16a vtec in it. I wanted to know if anybody has done this swap and can help me out. I want to know if it will drop straight in with the motor mount kit. And if I should use the b18 auto tranny or use the b16a 5 speed tranny. I would have to find cv axles though. If anyone can help me out that would be great. Thanks in advance..

ah, you should defiantly use the five speed and I think the only mount you would have to change is the right hand transmission mount. Not sure about that but I believe the auto uses a different mount. You could use the auto and it will bolt right up to the block. But who wants an auto especially a vtec auto? All b series transmissions and engines are compatible with each other. the b16 should bolt strait in and with your ecu i believe all you would need is a vtec subharness which you could get from rywire.com.

Thanks for the reply. Ya I definently want a stick, ur right there. I'll check into the mounts, I was thinkin the same thing.. I just don't know if I want to throw the b16a dohc vtec into a integra or not... I'm kinda turning my head to a crx.. Less weight more speed!! :D But one other thing, not all b series motors are compatible... Lol. My b20a5 out of my 89prelude is part of what we call the bastard b series, almost all older b20s out of the old preludes are part of the bastard b series and are not compatible with other b series motors.. It sucks!! I know for sure b20a5s and b20b1s are not compatible.. Plus the b20b1 has frm (fiber reinforced metal) cylinders so you can't bore them over or your screwed.. It's basically the b20a5 but a little stronger.. But the problem on that motor is that the cylinders were so strong they ware the piston ring out pretty fast.. Sorry got off topic, lol.. I'm a prelude guy for life, just expanding my horizons..

haha in that case my friends got a 90 prelude with about 90k on the block and the head is rebuilt and tanked, we just got it running, full top end gasket kit, new plugs wires. starts right up idles like its BRAND new. he wants 2500obo for it. not a single spot of rust or dents, interior is perfect. shifts like a dream. for a prelude guy!

ANYWAY, yes the b16 will drop right in and its obd0 so the harness wont take much modification, just need to install the vtec wiring, which is fairly simple if you have the right tools and info, you dont even need a jumper harness. you will need a 5 speed pedal conversion and clutch + cable. for all that 5 speed swap. crx is fun, but 90-93 integra (DA) is an EASY swap, already b series and ready, the crx has to be modded and purchase all the extra. axles linkage mounts, more wiring to change, and have to beat and cut shit out to make the b series fit.

That's not that bad,its probably the b21. but if I'm gana pay that much I'm gana rebiuld my own motor. And thanks for all the info on the swap.

Back