B16a Head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hoemahgoodness

Ok, if anyone can help this would be great.....my friend asked me to take the head off his b16 so he could get it cleaned.... when he brought the head back from the machine shop, i put it back together....after torquing down the head bolts and everything already he pulls out one of those metal dowels that go into the bottom of the head....i only saw one dowel when i was re-installing the head...now he has another one in his hand that he said was in another bag and he didnt see it...How important are those dowels...one is in the head right now and the other one is sitting on my workbench...does water flow thru those dowels?will it hurt anything if i just leave that one dowle out, or do i need to take the head back off and put it in there?

Whether it holds it in place or aids in transfer of oil,it is there for a reason,put it back.

lol. thats like asking:

"do i need to put in all the mounts when i do a swap?? the rear one is hard to get to."

Me personally...I'd leave it out.....the guide pins are to help the head seat correctly. if you have ONE, there is only soo much the head can move on the head bolts, and once torqued, it won't move............................. If you put it back you WILL need to get a new head gasket, once you compress a head gasket you DON"T want to use it........some have re-used with luck, but do you feel lucky for a $40 part. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you are leaving out a HEAD bolt.

Back