B16a header

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by 2phatt@Sep 24 2003, 12:37 AM
I am pretty sure you didn't read the thread you call your "proof" bozo.
The thread is about stiffening the front and rear mounts in order to tranfer torque to the wheels. Try reading the whole thread. I am hoping you can read. Obviously you can sound out words but your comprehension sucks.
No where does that thread say you gain any performance by not having a front
mount. What he says is that you stiffen the front and rear mounts to increase
torque to the wheels. Not get rid of one of them.
Why do you think they use a higher durometer for racing mounts.

Can you say "durometer"

Howyousay

"please dont talk shit if you dont know what you are talking about. thank you. drag through "

Ralph

i know what the thread is about. thats why i only quoted the part where it explained the construction of stock mounts and why they were used rather then solid mounts. i used that thread to prove my point as to why honda/acura use 4 mounts instead of 3, for ride comfort. so they use rubber mounts to absorb the vibration so its not transferred to the car HENCE the need for the 4th mount for engine stability. and i did not say that it says you gain performance by losing the front mount. nor did i say it came from that thread. i stated that with hasport mounts since the durometer of their inserts is higher, the 4th mount is not neccessary. and that hasports mounts hold the engine more stable with its 3 mounts then the stock 4. heres where you gain the performance. less torque is lost through the mounts when the engine torques, and more of the torque is transferred to the wheels.

and that still doesnt change the fact that that bar will not work in conjuction with hasport mounts. so not only will it be a waste of time because it wont help any, but it will be a waste of time becasue it wont fit.

:newbie: :asshat:

im done hijacking this guys thread to prove some asshat wrong.

Uppertorso- spend the cash and get the jimfab bar. its extremely strong and gives you loads of room. not to mention it helps your traction too :)

Ok, ok ok.

Look. I've installed the JimFab's on my car.

They are about 8 pounds lighter than the stock crossmember and tension rods in the front because they are HOLLOW tubing, where the stock stuff is some overworked sheetmetal crap that's about 5 times heavier than it needs to be, and the rods are SOLID.

Also, I think the JimFab is chromoly, not ordinary steel, so that helps with it's lightness, and strength, as well.

3 mounts are FINE for a car that's going to use STIFF polyeurethane. With softer rubber mounts, you'd end up tearing them up with a quickness. Pushing/pulling is MUCH worse for rubber that gives somewhat than for solid poly.

Any questions?

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Sep 25 2003, 03:31 AM
Ok, ok ok.

Look. I've installed the JimFab's on my car.

They are about 8 pounds lighter than the stock crossmember and tension rods in the front because they are COLLOW tubing, where the stock stuff is some overworked sheetmetal crap that's about 5 times heavier than it needs to be, and the rods are SOLID.

Also, I think the JimFab is chromoly, not ordinary steel, so that helps with it's lightness, and strength, as well.

3 mounts are FINE for a car that's going to use STIFF polyeurethane. With softer rubber mounts, you'd end up tearing them up with a quickness. Pushing/pulling is MUCH worse for rubber that gives somewhat than for solid poly.

Any questions?

THANK YOU! finally someone who understands what i was saying. :thumbsup: on the jimfab bar. get some pics. hows it feel?

^^^ Sorry about that, the bars are HOLLOW, not collow. I fixed my original post.

Also, I haven't driven the car since they were installed. I'm reworking 90% of my setup to make it better, faster, and more reliable. I'm tired of shit fucking up. ;)

Here, go look at the pics of my install. You have to be a member of imagestation, but just sign up, it's worth the look. (and you get free unlimited bandwidth)

Ok, imagestation is apparently down right now. I'll get that link up later.

cool man, get it posted i wanna see how much room it gives. supposed to be good amout of room.

cool man. looks sweet. but can you elaborate a bit on the heim joints? what is a heim joint? and why does it affect your allignment from installing this bar? what would be the best way to install this for effectiveness and having your allignment straight? (without doing it the way the one guy on HT said about leaving the weight on the wheels)

Heim joints are just spherical floating bearings with a hole in the middle for a bolt.

The tend to wear out over time, but JimFab claims they SHOULD be good for upwards of 100k miles on a street car. I'm not too worried about reachin 100k miles on a car I drive MAYBE 5k a year.

As far as alignment:
The tension rods are an integral part of the ED chassis suspension. Removing those for ANY reason is cause to have your alignment checked, especially if they are removed and replaced with something else.

Just get a stinkin' alignment after installing the bars, seriously.

awesome. will do. yea im not too worried about hit the 100k mile marker either, my car is my daily, so i drive about 2-3 times more then you do, if i hit the 100k mile mark and it lookes like they need to be replaced, i just replace the heim joints (if possible). thanks for the info, very helpful.

The Heim joints can be picked up through any reputable speed shop, even Summit carries them. About $20 a pop. No big deal. They just screw into the bars.

Back