B16a Into 89 Crx-si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phecker

I swapped a 90 16A with a Y1 LSD tranny into my 89 CRX SI. I have bled the cooling system many times and the cooling fan will not kick on. I know the fan works because I hooked it direct to the battery and it worked just fine. The electrical connections seem to be making good contact. The temperature gague sensor also, because at an idle the temp will approach the red zone but after a few seconds of driving (blowing air through the radiator) the temp returns to normal. I was wondering if there were any sensors or other connections I need to look at?

Also my check engine light came on and the ECU code resulting was 2 short flashes...which from reading various websites indicates a error code of 2, which is not even an error code for my ECU. Could this be cause from wires shorting out? or is it possibly a bad ECU? Any suggestions and or solutions would be great, I'm on the verge of pulling out my hair.

Aside from the cooling fan not kicking on and the annoying check engine light the B16A runs great.

hey man, i have the same problem after i did the b18a into my CRX, i looked inside the green plug that goes into the fan from the wiring harness and 1 of my plugs was chopped off, so i went to a wrecker got a new fan for 50 bucks plugged it in and away i went. take out ur fan, look inside both of the plugs,( from the fan and wiring harness) to make sure that neither of the prong's are broken, and if they are thats your problem. if they are both fine, i have no idea why your fan isnt kicking in.

Hmmm....I think the plugs are good...I will double check it though. I am wondering if it is the sensor on the head (near the thermistat) that kicks the fan on...but the engine is a low mile JDM engine, or maybe the fact that it sat a long time made it go bad. I have no idea but I think I will try the sensor from my D16A6 and see if that works.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure if this applies to hondas, but on early 90's domestics there is a temperature guage sensor, thermostat, and a temperature sensor/fan relay. The guage sensor should work regardless unless the thermostat is broken, but even then it will read hot. The thermostast isn't electrical (on early 90's models, later it may be the case) and really shouldn't have anything to do with the fan coming on even if it's broken. Then there is the temp. sensor, I had to replace on on a 91 ford probe once because someone's car would overheat at long idles. It looks like an electrical plug with a nut or grommet underneath it. It screws into the colling system so check all over your radiator and where the rad hoses meet the engine. and possibly the waterpump. or if your fan is plugged in, THAT is what it is plugged into. It works kind of like a physical to electrical thermostat. A little probe goes into the coolant path and as it heats up past a determined level, it connects a simple relay and completes the circuit turning on your fan.
Again all of this is hypothetical cause I've never seen a b series engine nor have I taken a good look at my 91 dx engine, but it should point you in the right direction. hope this helps.

befor you go gettin lots of ideas and money ready ihad the same problem .........................check your fuses its the smallest thing that always counts

Back