b16a rear wheel drive transmission

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shad426

i don't know much about hondas and i just picked up a b16a motor, but for my application i need rear wheel drive. did honda ever do this? or will i have to by a aftermarket trans.

Nope all honda 4 cylinders besides the s2000 and the 90 civic wagovan are front wheel drive the s2000 is rear wheel drive and the wagovan is all wheel drive. And before you ask the trannys from those cars will not bolt up to the b16a. What car do you have that you need a rear wheel drivetrain?

Common sense would tell you, if you look at the transaxle, is their an output shaft coming out of the rear of the case? NOOOO. :thumbsdown:

thanks for the info. it's a custom made chassis for offroad.

vtec. "common sence would tell you" after reading my post. I didn't ask if my front engine TRANSAXLE would work. I ask if honda ever put this motor in a rear wheel drive application, thus a transmission. who's looking @ transaxles?

is there a reason that your purpose build chassis cant accept a mid engine configuration? if there's room, there's no reason you cant mount a b16 engine/trans in the rear. making some shifter linkage will probably be the largest hurdle, because the shift rod will be facing the rear of the vehicle. but if you're capable of building a offroad chassis, then i'm sure you could handle a little linkage.
this may sound blasphemous, but have you considered an automatic swap?

best of luck finding an 'aftermarket' trans that does RWD. you let me know if you find one. it will probably be a fruitless search though...

post pics of ur chassis! i'd like to see. tube frame or just a stripped production car?

What do you think would be the advantage to an automatic? How many gears in an auto? I was originally thinking of a 5 or 6 speed manual.

Found a trans. g-force makes one for honda's reverse rotation. Car is not built yet just trying to put together all the parts. Have the motor need to decide on the trans, then the rear end. Trying to make the car front engine, rear wheel drive indepentant suspension.

if you are using it for offroad purposes shouldn't it be 4 wheel drive in which case you will need a transfer case also, probable a divorced case is your best bet but just a thought

the reason i asked if you'd considered an automatic was because it would make swapping a b16 along with the transmission that bolts right up to it, into the rear of your "off-road" vehicle much easier. there's no good reason to mount it up front then pay for a trans, driveshaft and rear end then engineer it all to work together, if you have the freedom to build the chassis to accept it as a mid engine configuration. you'll skip right over numerous hurdles and thousands of dollars in parts alone sticking with a proven combination of engine/trans. mount it in the rear, fab up some mounts and suspension pickups, and make some custom shift linkage. then put the other $10,000 that you would have paid trying to mount the engine in the front into good suspension components and you'll be much more pleased with the finished product.

What about using the S2000 transmission? I have a HUGE interest in the possibility of either finding a Honda engine that was used in a rear wheel application or finding someone who has converted a transverse fwd engine to rear wheel drive. I am VERY well aware that engines are being built for rear wheel application from Ford transverse engines. Any observations on what keeps one from converting a Honda 1.6 engine to a rear whell application.
There are S2000 engines available but I am looking for something with a little less displacement for an MG Midget engine/transmission swap.
By the way, I also drive a 90 CRX with a NEW 1.6 engine and the HF transmission as my daily driver. Very, VERY nice car that may well get over 40 mpg when broken in. It has less than a thousand miles on it.
JGug

Given the information on G Force, I called to see what they have. They do INDEED make a transmission that will mate up to a K engine (clockwise turning) as well as an engine that will mate up with the counter clockwise turning engines. The counter clockwise turning engine transmissions cost a lot ($6000. I think he said) but the right turning engine transmissions cost $2500. Yeah, that's a chunk but doable.
J

Back