B16a Si-rii Wont Start!!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dj_ag_smuv

Hey guys im in need of a lil help. I just swapped a b16a2 into a 94 ex coupe as I've done this 7 times before it's not an issue until now. It is a jdm engine I got from jhot imports motor is (appears) to be in great shape installation went relatively easy and we test started it before I put my wheels back on and the car ran (rough) for about 30 secs I turned it off and proceeded to put the car back together and put my coilovers on. After putting everything together lowered the car put my coolant and all that stuff in it to road test and NADA it cranks and somewhat acts like it wants to start but it just cranks. I have fuel you can smell it after cranking for a while and I've got spark as I've taken the plug wires out and I see the spark on the valve cover. The only code im throwing is a 6 which is coolant temp code. Ive change the sensor and im still getting the code. Note at first I did get a code 7 which is tps but the wire was loose and I fixed that. Now if you look at the mapping of the tps sensor and the coolant sensor they are junctioned together and Im curious to see if this has something to do with it. Also I have tired the p28 ecu as well as the p30 and both throw the same code. Could this be wiring harness related or something else. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated as I need to get thsi running soon,

Thanks

A.G.

b16a2 is generally an obd2 engine, but anyway,
did you change both coolant temp sensors? There are 2, one on the head and one on either the thermostat housing or on the back of the block (looks like an oil pressure switch)
This may not be what is causing the car to not start. Fix your CEL first then procede to a tuneup, maybe the rough running was an indication that the plugs may be worn out.
Just a guess.

nevermind figured it out....Bad fuel filter....I bought the car not running never thought to check that that was why the car wasnt runnning before simply thought it was a bad motor :eek: thanks for all the replies tho.

A.G.

ok thought I was done...but Im getting the eratic idle from hell you know the one that just refuses to settle. I've checked my vacumn lines and they are all connected correctly.....does anyone have any other ideas..this has been an interesting swap to say the least as Im running into issues left and right that i've never had before. Anyway any help would be appreciated.

could be 1 of 3 things (provided you have no vacuum leaks)
Bubble in your coolant, or bad IAC or bad thermo valve,
First thing to do is to make sure all of the air is bled out of your coolant:
remove radiator cap, top off coolant and then put cap back on, but do not tighten all the way.
turn your heater on full hot, but blower speed low
start the engine and let the car warm up all the way until the radiator fan comes on twice.
recheck coolant level and then put cap on all the way.
Top off overflow tank to "full or HOT" mark
IF THAT DOESN"T WORK. . .
remove your intake tube (the one that goes from the filter to the throttle body)
look into your throttle body, there should be 2 small holes before the throttle plate.
Start the engine and then go to the holes, the one that is toward the bottom is your thermo valve, the one toward the top is your IAC
plug the one at the bottom with your finger, does the idle smooth out? if so then replace the thermo valve
if the idle is still erratic take your finger off the lower one and plug the upper one, does the idle smooth out? if so then it is your IAC.
The thermo valve cannot be cleaned, but the IAC screen can be cleaned out with parts cleaner with good results most of the time. Once you replace either of these componants you will have to bleed the cooling system again, follow the above procedure.

Thanks for the info pretty informative. It seems to have settled down on its own and I think it was a coolant issue as I had to swap out like 3 radiators because of leaks and me breaking the upper hose mount :eek: I put my greddy exhaust on it last night and will drive her for a few days before I put my turbo on. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

A.G

Back