b16a SiR II question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skillz2k5

I have the SiR II in my 96 civic... it's rated at 170 horses. My friend has a 99 si with the a2 rated at 160 horses. We both have the same mods I/H/E & good suspension setup. We race every now and then just to
see where we are at in tuning and how everything is holding up... I usually pull on him by a bumper. I know my car is faster because I am running the virgin p28 and still pulling on him. My real question is what is different about these motors to make mine have 10 more horses... I know the compression is different but only
by .2 and that should not create a 10 hp difference. Does the SiR II have more agressive cams or what??

pistons (compression)

& wow, I can't believe your pulling on him with a stock p28. Thats weird. Curious to see how it will run with the appropiate ECU.

Yeah that is kinda strange. May have something to do with a weight difference. I read that a big part of the difference between the USDM and JDM horsepower ratings is that the JDM ecu maps are different to make the most out of their better quality and higher octane fuel. The USDM one are basically de-tuned, so to say.
But if you are running a virgin p28, you can count that out as the reason you are beating him. What model Civic do you have?

maybe he has obx and bomz racing crap on the 99si, you could just have better parts, or maybe you drive better

ECU is deff not chipped... pulled cover. I have OBD I conversion in 96 civic ex and as far as parts diff goes neither of us have obx crap... I run custom 2
1/2 inch pipe to a tanabe tuner madallion muffler (which by the way is a great exhaust... really deep not too crazy loud) and he runs skunk2 exhaust with test pipe. Both have AEM cia (well last time we raced) and both have dc header 4-1 with 2 1/2 inch collector. The only thing is my motor was a jdm swap and I have no idea what's in the head... my car goes blub blub blub in the bottom end like I have some crazy cams or something but I figured it was ECU sputter. Either way thats what we are running almost EXACT same except he runs rota 16's and I run enkie 17's.
Nothing torn out of either car... all weight still in. Compression is 100% on both motors. He also has been rockin the b series and honda longer than I have so driving any better should be in his corner.

There could be hundreds of reasons why. His engine is a lot newer than yours for one thing. Yours has more age on it, thus might have a lot more wear and tear on it. Then you have two completely different drivers too. Take both cars to a shop that has a dyno and find out which engine makes more power. Then you'll know why. Besides, my memory may be wrong, but the B16AII didn't make 170hp, it made 170ps, which equates to about 167 hp. PS is the metric version of horsepower. They use it in certain countries overseas. A difference of 7hp is really not a whole lot. It's worth a tenth, maybe two in the quarter mile, with the same driver of course.

if you pulling on him with a stock p28, i woulld get a JDM P30 an d blow his doors off.

good luck

P.S. or get the P28 chipped

yes the compression is .2 higher and it has more aggressive cams. the hp rating is 168hp. i have the same motor in a 94 si. i used to run circles around my friend with a 2000 si on my p28 as well. then i chipped it and huge difference, way more power.

Back