B16a will turn over but wont start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EGB16ASi

My b16a will turn over but won't start. Plugs and wires have less than 10k on them among other parts on the car since the swap was done that long ago. It just wouldn't start one day even though it was running great. Im sure its getting fuel and air. I checked the ecm code and as soon as I put in the jumper wire the engine light came on and stayed on until I removed it, is this normal?:confused: I'm investigating the distributor and rotor and coil etc today so I"ll see how that goes. But does anyone have any suggestions or had a similiar problem?:confused:

What year car, what year engine, what engine harness, what ecu and what distributor/injectors?

theres many of things it could be rotor, coil , fouled plugs u need to check all these... and if ur getting an engine code look it up cuz that might be the problem.

Its obd1 b16a in a 93 civic si most of the parts on it are stock parts from a 99 si.
It never had a check engine light problem. I'm not really sure but when I plug in the wire to see if its showing a code the engine light comes on and stays on until I disconnect it. Does this mean I have an ecm problem? Because the code number for that is 0 and it don't flash at all.:confused:

if you had an issue, the light would be solid even without the service connector jumped. so i doubt its your ecu.

to continue, Hatchyspeed is right. Cap, Rotors and Coil, and igniter are all possibilities. To test, pull out a spark plug. Attach the wire to it, and ground the edge to your engine. You should be able to see the spark in low light. The less safe, but easier way would be to pull each spark plug wire off the distributor and see if the wire arcs to the cap...i can see that in broad day light. The only draw back is it smarts if it arcs to your finger instead (wont kill ya, just feels like getting shocked by a door knob) but youll know when it happens...

out of curiosity, how are you sure you're getting fuel?

The other thing i would check to make sure the fuel pump is priming (make sure you can hear it). If not, id check the main relay. Its not exactly hot where you are, but they do have a habbit of going bad.

I can hear the fuel pump and when I pulled the plugs they definitly had fuel on them. Thanks for let me know about the ecm!

Back