B16a1 gas mileage anyone?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90B16a1si

I am not new to hondas but very new to swapped hondas. What kind of highway gas mileage can I expect from my 90 si hatchback project with a B16ai, I/H/E, quaife, ys1 trans, 16inchers with 205/40s, pw0 ecu?

Ball park quesses are fine, but I would like more accurate numbers. I am not really sure why I bought this car and I really need to find a use/excuse for it. And my turbo rx7 has quite an expensive thirst for premium.

Also, can I use regular or is premium necessary? I will probably use premium because I normally do, but just curious.

Quoted post[/post]]
I am not new to hondas but very new to swapped hondas. What kind of highway gas mileage can I expect from my 90 si hatchback project with a B16ai, I/H/E, quaife, ys1 trans, 16inchers with 205/40s, pw0 ecu?

Ball park quesses are fine, but I would like more accurate numbers. I am not really sure why I bought this car and I really need to find a use/excuse for it. And my turbo rx7 has quite an expensive thirst for premium.

Also, can I use regular or is premium necessary? I will probably use premium because I normally do, but just curious.

There is no such thing as a B16A1. If you mean the B16A JDM SiR, then depending on how you drive you might be able to get as high as 35-40 mpg. Not the way I drive though :mrgreen:

If you really do have a YS1 tranny, thats an LS transmission. It has very long gears, so you should get pretty good mileage (30 in town -40ish hw). However, you'll also get poor acceleration because of the gearing.

I'm running a B16a SiR in a '90 CRX and I get about 25-30mpg with the Y1 transmission (close gear ratios). Realize though, that I am at 4000rpm on the highway where as you'll be at about 2200 (with the LS1), you can make your own assumptions about milage from that.

Quoted post[/post]]
If you really do have a YS1 tranny, thats an LS transmission. It has very long gears, so you should get pretty good mileage (30 in town -40ish hw). However, you'll also get poor acceleration because of the gearing.

I'm running a B16a SiR in a '90 CRX and I get about 25-30mpg with the Y1 transmission (close gear ratios). Realize though, that I am at 4000rpm on the highway where as you'll be at about 2200 (with the LS1), you can make your own assumptions about milage from that.
I get on average 26mpg, and thats with raping the shit out of it some, running down the interstate, y1 lsd trans also.

There WAS a B16A1, and it all depends on how heavy your foot is. In my crx with a b16, i got anywhere between 18 and 28.

I pulled 28.5 mpg when I filled up and checked it Monday. This with a B16a2, S4C 5 speed, heavy foot and I run between 74-90 on the highway depending on the mood I'm in at the time. :p

and confus, yes there was a b16a1. It's one of the odd JDM engine codes that did actually end with a number.

B16a1 was what was listed in my 5 year old SCC magazine for an sir. I don't really know the difference but I am OK not knowing. The transmission must be a y1. I have only driven it once after all new front suspension and coilovers, but it is definitely close ratioed and was at 3k in fifth.

Thanks for all the input!

Quoted post[/post]]
B16a1 was what was listed in my 5 year old SCC magazine for an sir. I don't really know the difference but I am OK not knowing. The transmission must be a y1. I have only driven it once after all new front suspension and coilovers, but it is definitely close ratioed and was at 3k in fifth.

Yes, all b16 tranny's are very short geared.
You should see as much as 30 as long as you don't have a heavy foot like me. :mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]

At what speed though? I do 4 grand at 74 mph in 5th.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

At what speed though? I do 4 grand at 74 mph in 5th.

Now that I have a working speedometer: I'm at about 4 grand as high as 80 mph also, but anything above 3k rpm is gonna get relatively shitty mileage. Wish they had made a 6 speed for this motor like the RSX :cry: Not only for the mileage, but also so they could make 5th not so shitty for acceleration, and we wouldn't get pulled as bad by cars with better gearing. And the engine wouldn't be as annoyingly loud on long highway trips either. The new '06 Si has a six speed to go with that killer 2.0L 200hp I-4. I'm so jealous, but not of the guys who try to put tuner parts on that shitty underhood area. It's set up like a conversion van under there, so tight and unwieldly.

I was over 3k in fifth at about 55 or something, I wasn't really paying attention given my eyeballed it "alignment". Once I get the lights working and get it aligned, I'll be able to work on fiquring out what the trans is. The seller said it was a ys1 but he said many things.

Quoted post[/post]]
I was over 3k in fifth at about 55 or something, I wasn't really paying attention given my eyeballed it "alignment". Once I get the lights working and get it aligned, I'll be able to work on fiquring out what the trans is. The seller said it was a ys1 but he said many things.

hmm... thats exactly where I'm at with the S4C.

What does each gear redline at speed wise? I hit 40 in first, 65 in second, 80 in third and 110 in fourth.

Do me a favor, next time you're driving figure out what mph you're turning at:

25 mph in 3rd (cruise down a residential neighborhood)
35 mph in 4th
45 mph in 5th

If you turn the same as me you MIGHT have an S4C.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

hmm... thats exactly where I'm at with the S4C.

What does each gear redline at speed wise? I hit 40 in first, 65 in second, 80 in third and 110 in fourth.

Do me a favor, next time you're driving figure out what mph you're turning at:

25 mph in 3rd (cruise down a residential neighborhood)
35 mph in 4th
45 mph in 5th

If you turn the same as me you MIGHT have an S4C.

I'm pretty sure he has the cable trans, not your civic si trans, my gear ratio's are very close to those (if not the same) of my buddy's 00 civic si.

Yeah I thought about that after I posted it, but I was just trying to pinpoint gears ratios for him. He might have an S1/J1 XSi 5 speed.

His rim size might throw the gearing off a bit though too.

Damn I need another honda.

But then again, I have a REALLY heavy foot. I'm at like 5.2k in 5th at 130 and get 16 mpg if I stick it on cruise. I can get 18 mpg at 110-115. Or if I'm normal I can see semi-respectable low 20's out of the Audi.

But you should be in the high 20's low 30s depending on your trans.

Quoted post[/post]]
There is no such thing as a B16A1.

gallery_18_15_7729.jpg

:p

Back