B16a2 Turbo build!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbocivicracerx

Hi I am plannin on swaping the B16a2 in to my 94 Honda civic Ex. Before I even think about dropping the engine in I want to build it up. I am goin to build the engine block up. I have recently purchased a B16a2 block from a 99 Honda civic si. The crank might need resurvaced but besides that it is a complete short block. I am thinking about just havin the crank micropolished. Any ideas on parts or comments on my ideas would be greatly appriciated, I am asking to learn so if you would help and post on my forum your ideas it would help alot. I know im not the first to build this engine but I want to get started in the right direction. I have looked into many diffrent opptions. Ls, Ls/vtec Cr-Vtec, b18c etc. I finally choose this route after thinking for along time. My goals on this build is to build one of the fastest but most reliable everydriver. This car will be taken to the track occasionally but will be mostly for street use because I can not afford to have to cars, so please keep that in mind for suggetion parts. Price is some what of an obstically but really its not it just price/time it takes to accumulate the money. But in the long run I will spend what ever it takes to do it right and not build a half motor that will blow up or die on me lol.

Here are my ideas for the block. I am going to get the crankshaft polished, im thinking of havin it honed and board about .20 over (will this be safe with the stock sleeves if I boost about 12-14 psi?) block guard, Je low comp pistons about a 9.0:1 or 9.6:1 with eagle rods, nippon racing rigns, block gurdle, and new turbo head gasket.

What I am thinking for the Head. I am not sure If I am going to go full out on the Head I will decide what I am going to do from the suggestions I recive I am possibly thinking stage 2 turbo cams, cam gears, titanium springs and retaners, swirl valves, 5 angle valve job, port polish and I might get the head milled some. Is this a good Idea for the money or not? If not what should I do?

When I upgrade the fuel system I am thinking about gettin a 255lph fuel pump, 440cc injectors, aem fuel rail and for the intake a Skunk 2 intake manifold. Should I get a new throtle body?

I have a custom t3/t4 turbo kit and parts picked out with custom 3inch exhaust w/out cat to a n1 racing muffler.

Also I am stuck on what tranny to get for this swap I am thinking about a ls or gsr tranny.

Thank you for all your time it is greatly appriciated on helping my engine become a reality. Thanks Tristan

First off One of they ways I've been told about building cars is there are three options.. Fast, Reliable, and Cheap. Pick two. But since you said more or less on a budget and want reliabilty here's what I'd do...
-Buy a b16 head (you said shortblock, Im assuming that it don't have a head)
-Buy a set of gsr cams, They are one of the better cams for turbo (I know people who went from ITR cams to GSR cams for turbo) also get some cam gears!
-Try to get a hold of either a b16 tranny or a b18c tranny with a LSD
-Buy a set of CP pistons in the 9.5-10:1 CR range
-Buy a set of eagle rods
-Send the head out for a P&P job
-Better Intake mani and a bigger TB
Also 440's will be good for only maybe 300ish whp...
That should get you a good build.

i would not spend money on an intake mani because the b16 manifold is good for the hp you will ever have

use a h22 or h23 throttle body or spend the $$ and buy an aftermarket one also i would get a new fuel pump

buy an ls tranny/lsd (longer gears =good for turbo/drag racing)my 2c

go to www.tunertoyz.com and buy 450cc injectors for $200

i wuld buy a cast turbo log style mani they are perfect for street setups

www.blaastperformance.com for good used turbos

the b16 is a rev happy motor so i would get a bit larger turbo so you dont have exesive whel spin at launch and you have the top end the motor wants

as far as the head i would go all out (free hp)

go to the import builder web site and read their FAQ this guy knows what he is taking about

you wont need a block guard or gurdle

and spend $$ on ecu upgrade,hondata,aem,chrome,uberdata

definately get the gsr cams
And take your time do not listen to what everybody says do your own research and only take advice from people that know what your goals are its your $$$$$$

Ok well thank you for your guys advice from what I hear I should keep the Stock intake manifold, buy a h22 throtle body or H 23 and a new fuel pump. Make sure I get an lsd tranny either ls, B16 or Gsr. For the Head go all out p+p, valve job, new valves, springs, and retaniers ect. Get the gsr cams with adjustable cam gears.

I dont need to get a block guard or gurdle.

Out of your replies I didnt not see what I should do for the ecu... I am going to get Hondata for help with the tunning and for the turbo but what ecu should I get I am going to get the obd2 to obd1 conversion harness and ect parts to use my stock wiring harness.

I need to buy a b16 head would the a2 or a1 head be better? I know if I am using the stock wiring harness it is obd1 conectors so the injectors would need to be obd1? and the dizzy would need to be changed if I got the a2 correct?

Buy CP pistons in the 9.5-10:1 CR range and Buy a set of eagle rods. Would the 10:1 Be to high of compresion for the motor under 14 pounds of boost or should I just turn it down and make the same whp?

The 440 cc injectors would only be good for about 300 hp ish. For what I have seen other ppls builds make I should only be in or a little bit over the 300 hp mark correct? If these injectors will not supply enough fuel what should I bump the size too?

What is the address for the import builder web site ?

O yea Like I said before I want to build this engine to be the fastest but most reliable engine for an everday driver.

Well thank you again for your time and helping me out. Tristan

Listen man youve gotten more help in the one day youve been a member than i got since ive been a member
SEARCH
i already told you about the ecu READ (p28 ecu)
as far as the head the newer the better
and you will spend 2.5k+
10:1 is too high unless you sleeve your block (9.5:1) the most i would use
go to the FAQ and READ

If your goin hondata your gonna need a chipped p28
as for injectors I would look into 550's
and formby's price of 2.5k is accurate if you by used turbo parts... New your gonna pay alot more.
Here's your anwser to the obd1 conversion question.. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1015108

As for reading up on turbos and what not I really suggest honda-tech.com if you havn't been there!

Back