B16A3 bottom end with GSR head?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

delNightmare

OK, I admit this is more because I have the parts laying around than me coming up with some well-thought, diabolical plan.

I am rather new to the Honda scene (I'm a Subaru guy by nature), but I bought a del Sol that I am prepping for autocross, and I'm looking at a couple directions as far as build goes.

I see a bunch of B18 lower ends with B16 heads, but how about the reverse? I have a complete GSR motor right now, and I have a sleeved-B16 lower end (82mm). I am considering putting the GSR head on the B16 lower end. I am primarily looking for a N/A application, but a power adder is not out of the question, although I would prefer it to be a supercharger (autocrossing and turbos don't always mix well).

Any thoughts on the feasibility (or stupidity, lol) of this hybrid?

i would bore out the b16 to 84mm ( if possible) and slap on the gsr head with a new IM.....

you will gain about .2:1 in compression over the b16 head. other than that, there's really not too much difference "out of the box" if you were to just use a b16 head.

personally, i'd just use the straight GSR. the sleeved block is worth more to sell, and the end result will probably be similar power-wise.
plus, na, you don't need a sleeved block really (ubnless you're going real large on the bore.... but 82mm is not a large bore)

Quoted post[/post]]
you will gain about .2:1 in compression over the b16 head. other than that, there's really not too much difference "out of the box" if you were to just use a b16 head.

personally, i'd just use the straight GSR. the sleeved block is worth more to sell, and the end result will probably be similar power-wise.
plus, na, you don't need a sleeved block really (ubnless you're going real large on the bore.... but 82mm is not a large bore)

Good advice. I would have though it was just the opposite on the compression ratio, but that's cool.

Actually, if I keep the sleeved block (it has Darton sleeves in it), I would go to 84mm. There seem to be a bunch of JR superchargers for sale that fit the GSR head, so that sounds like a good combo, it will just change the class I can run in, and I'd probably look at putting the powertrain in an EF, rather than the delSol.

As far as the value of the sleeved block: it's up for sale right now for less than $1,000, and I've had absolutely ZERO takers, and very little interest.

welcome to honda parts.. no one is buying shit. i just sold like 12k worth of cars for 8k just to get trid of them... the scene is dying...

Quoted post[/post]]
welcome to honda parts.. no one is buying shit. i just sold like 12k worth of cars for 8k just to get trid of them... the scene is dying...

I don't know that the scene is completely dying as much as everyone is BROKE!!!
:dunno:

Well, at least from a buyer's standpoint, I guess I can take advantage of that to the fullest right now.

I saw a bunch of cheap superchargers for sale......

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Well, at least from a buyer's standpoint, I guess I can take advantage of that to the fullest right now.

:withstupid: Everyone is broke because everyone tries to sell 12 worth of parts for 12k+ shipping for each item.

On top of that, Honda parts are expensive as shit to begin with, especially compared to the price per mod on domestics.

Mustang mods; twin pipe catbacks with two mufflers = 400
Honda mods; single 2.36" pipe and one muffler = 500-600

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

:withstupid: Everyone is broke because everyone tries to sell 12 worth of parts for 12k+ shipping for each item.

On top of that, Honda parts are expensive as shit to begin with, especially compared to the price per mod on domestics.

Mustang mods; twin pipe catbacks with two mufflers = 400
Honda mods; single 2.36" pipe and one muffler = 500-600

:tisk:

Actually, I'm selling stuff really cheap. And prices vary. I put a Dynomax cat-back on my ex-girlfriend's Mustang, and trust me: it was more than $400. I'm selling a full catback exhaust for around $300.....

Back to topic.

Back