1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B16A3 bottom end with GSR head?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by delNightmare, Sep 27, 2005.

1. delNightmare

delNightmare Junior Member

OK, I admit this is more because I have the parts laying around than me coming up with some well-thought, diabolical plan.

I am rather new to the Honda scene (I'm a Subaru guy by nature), but I bought a del Sol that I am prepping for autocross, and I'm looking at a couple directions as far as build goes.

I see a bunch of B18 lower ends with B16 heads, but how about the reverse? I have a complete GSR motor right now, and I have a sleeved-B16 lower end (82mm). I am considering putting the GSR head on the B16 lower end. I am primarily looking for a N/A application, but a power adder is not out of the question, although I would prefer it to be a supercharger (autocrossing and turbos don't always mix well).

Any thoughts on the feasibility (or stupidity, lol) of this hybrid?

2. formby

formby learning in progress

i would bore out the b16 to 84mm ( if possible) and slap on the gsr head with a new IM.....

3. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

My buddy Vince did it in his 93 Integra. It was pretty sweet.

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

you will gain about .2:1 in compression over the b16 head. other than that, there's really not too much difference "out of the box" if you were to just use a b16 head.

personally, i'd just use the straight GSR. the sleeved block is worth more to sell, and the end result will probably be similar power-wise.
    plus, na, you don't need a sleeved block really (ubnless you're going real large on the bore.... but 82mm is not a large bore)

5. delNightmare

Good advice. I would have though it was just the opposite on the compression ratio, but that's cool.

Actually, if I keep the sleeved block (it has Darton sleeves in it), I would go to 84mm. There seem to be a bunch of JR superchargers for sale that fit the GSR head, so that sounds like a good combo, it will just change the class I can run in, and I'd probably look at putting the powertrain in an EF, rather than the delSol.

As far as the value of the sleeved block: it's up for sale right now for less than $1,000, and I've had absolutely ZERO takers, and very little interest.

6. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

welcome to honda parts.. no one is buying shit. i just sold like 12k worth of cars for 8k just to get trid of them... the scene is dying...

7. delNightmare

I don't know that the scene is completely dying as much as everyone is BROKE!!!
    [​IMG]

Well, at least from a buyer's standpoint, I guess I can take advantage of that to the fullest right now.

I saw a bunch of cheap superchargers for sale......

8. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

:withstupid: Everyone is broke because everyone tries to sell 12 worth of parts for 12k+ shipping for each item.

On top of that, Honda parts are expensive as shit to begin with, especially compared to the price per mod on domestics.

Mustang mods; twin pipe catbacks with two mufflers = 400
    Honda mods; single 2.36" pipe and one muffler = 500-600

9. delNightmare

[​IMG]

Actually, I'm selling stuff really cheap. And prices vary. I put a Dynomax cat-back on my ex-girlfriend's Mustang, and trust me: it was more than $400. I'm selling a full catback exhaust for around $300.....

Back to topic.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted