B16B and tranny conversion.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GdUpFoo

Hey how is it going everyone. New to the forum, and am liking what I have read so far. I just got a 94 Civic pretty cheap (less than $1k) from my uncle who sold it to me, as he had the intent to give it to my cousin, but ended up buying him a brand new Scion XA.

Anyways my question is this. . .

The car is automatic which I cannot stand automatic but the deal on the car was too good to pass up, SOOO if I was to purchase a B16B (EK TypeR) Complete Change Over from HMO which comes with the engine and all the stuff to swap out, could I by doing all the nessesary things (e.g. swap out pedals) and the other things amongst that be able to do this? I know you guys are probably going to tell me that I should just sell it and get a manual, but the point is that I will not be able to find an identical car for the same price and that is why I would rather do the swap. So if anybody can help me out and give me some details I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to all that reply.

Yea, you can convert from auto to manual fairly easily. You just need to find a pedal set with all of the necessary hardware. Search the forum for more info on auto to manual conversions.

Question, why are you going with a b16b? There are better, and cheaper engines you could use. A gsr complete changeover will cost less, plus you wont have the hassle of converting from obd1 to 0bd2.

Yea, and showing off=you getting your car stolen and stripped lol. But seriously, type-r engines are not a wise choice for an engine swap. For the same price you could do ls-vtec or b16a turbo. Like civiclxb16 said, the motor is only to impress JDM fanboys.

haha well I would kinda be showing off to JDM fanboys in a sense since a few of my friends are JDM fans. Well what do you guys suggest then to swap out for? I have heard that hydraulic trannys are better, what are the pros and cons of both?

so then you guys are saying it would be easier, cheaper, and better to convert to one of these 2 motors. . .

B16A 92-95 (SiR-II) Complete Change Over hydraulic tranny

B16A 92-93 Integra (XSi) Complete Change Over cable tranny

Now I have heard, just like what was mentioned of swapping out for a GSR motor.

Is this the correct motor, and will it fit?

B18C 94-97 (GSR) Complete Change Over

Sorry for the noobie questions, but I am sonewhat still a noob, I admit that haha. I am still learning about some of this stuff, so any help is greatly appreciated. This is far from my main line of work though which is that I have a stereo, alarm, and tint shop. haha thx everyone!!
http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30005

I don't know the pros and cons of both, but I do know that putting an obd0 engine into an obd1 car is illegal and you will fail emissions testing.

Yes, that gsr engine swap will fit. You need different mounts, and axles, which are easy to find. A cheaper way to go would be the b16a, but that is a torqueless wonder. The b18a/b is also a good alternative, but lacks vtec.

What kind of budget do you have? What do you want to do with the car(drag, auto-x, or dd)? Answering these questions will give people a better idea of what you want so the can help you more.

Also, check out the swap section of the faq's to get a good idea of what engines will fit, and which wont

Thx trappd, I kinda skimmed over that post, as I have to leave soon. But the car will be a daily driver, but gradually fixed up to be able to take to the track on the weekends. the budget is between $2000 and around $4-4500 for the swap and tranny. I was reading a couple posts about passing the California emissions when swapping out so I have a basic concept of that.

The B18C that I posted a dead link to, sorry bout that, comes with the following.

Price: $ 3149.00 Plus shipping and handling.
Availability: In stock and ready to go.

- Motor
- Hydraulic Tranny (S80, Y80)
- ECU (P72)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shift Linkage
- Stock Motor Mounts *
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed
- LSD Tranny (Optional +$300)

Motors average 35,000 miles and come with a 100% start up warranty. All Sensors are guaranteed not broken and in working condition!

* Please Note: We now offer the Hasport Hydraulic tranny to cable car conversion kit for $429. Also available is the Hasport High Horsepower upgraded motor mount kit for $300.

so in the case of you saying I would need different motor mounts and axels, that is no problem since it all comes with the engine. Another reason for me looking at this site is because they are located 3 cities over from me which is great for me. I could also go with the b18b which would save me $1000 but has 35 less hp. So I can go either way but still need to keep in mind that I still have the auto to manual conversion to do.

I think that sounds like a pretty slick ass plan now. What do you think?

If you have around $4000 to spend total, I'd just go ls. It's cheaper, has decent torque, and will leave plenty of money left over to do the auto to manual conversion. Hmotors is a really reputable company known for good product as well as customer service. Some people on here swear by this company and will never go anywhere else. So you should be able to have the swap done for around $3000, and have $1000 left over for the auto to manual conversion and whatever else you may want/need.

The end result will be a low 15 to high 14second car for relatively cheap.

Of course you could always go d16z6 turbo and get the same results for around 1/2 to 3/4 of the price of the ls swap.

sounds like a sound plan trappd. Is it basically a bolt-in mod? I have a lot of tools at my disposal, and an engine hoist, so I was hoping to be able to do this completely myself.

Thanks for your help.

Hey thanks a lot for all the help trappd, I really appreciate it. There are a lot of people on forums in general that ask about things and the people that answer the question are the best, because their info is free, and they expect nothing. The best part is that all the things that you do for others and expect nothing in return comes back 10 full. So thanks bud.

No problem man. 99% of the information I gave you I read on this site. Just pass the info that you learn on to others that need it and Im sure everyone here will appreciate that.

Good luck on the swap and the auto to manual conversion.

well i am going to tell you something that no one told me when i was getting ready to do my swap! 1 mini swap with a turbo is a very good option. i have a guy here locally that runs 12s with his hatch with a sohc vtec with a turbo. 2 when you start your swap make sure you write everything down and lable where you got it from 3 its a long hard journey if this is your first swap be careful plan everything you do and take your time. it took me 4 months to get my first swap down. now i am doing them in one weekend. but i can tell you this my first swap was a nightmare everything that can go wrong did. including the motor that i ordered from "i'll keep it to myself" had a broked rod so make sure you plan and do it right! i can make this last suggestion. before you even order your motor make sure you have all the money you need together if you need or want a mount kit get that first. because if you take to long to get your swap in and you find something wrong, your going to have a nice coffee table of a honda motor :) good luck if you ever need any help let me know. always willing to share my knowlegde

Back