B17a1?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicspeed

I found a B17A1 at a junk yard with 89000 miles for 1500$ i am wondering if this is a good price for the engine, and if this is a good engine to put into a 97 civic coupe? Eventually i am planing on going turbo and i am curious if this will be a good engine for turbocharging?

I have also heard of people swaping a B20B with a Vtec head and turbocharging it. Is this a good way to go?

I am going for a fast daily driver/ occasional racer what is the best power for the $ engine?

A B17A1 is basically a slightly longer stroke B16A. It'll have a bit more torque across the rev range, but otherwise it's just an OBD1 B16. You might want to find an OBD2 engine, since dropping in an earlier revision OBD engine into a later OBD car can be a huge wiring mess. You could convert to OBD1 though.

You could more than likely buy it and then trade it for a suitable OBD and clutch (you have hydraulic,B17A1 is cable) motor.They are pretty hard to come by and people seek them out.If you can get the complete swap,you could sell it for about $1000 more than the price you are buying it for,just something to think about.

i like tha lil b17a motor.....it comes from a xsi integgy !!!!!!!!! bascially all tha aprts that can go in2 a lil b16a fits nicely in2 tha b17a motor also!!!!!!!!!! it is as mention earlier a cable tranny tho!!!!!!!!! but a way kool and rare egnine 2 have and build my freind!!!!!!!!!

just my 2 cents i would keep it and build it since not many peepz have this engine u kno!!!!!!!!!

;) :p :D B) :ph34r: :worthy:

Originally posted by FORTUNE COOKIE@May 16 2003, 08:24 PM
i like tha lil b17a motor.....it comes from a xsi integgy !!!!!!!!!

You must not like it that much,since you don't know what car it came in.

JDM xsi had the B16A, and the USDM 92-93 GSR had the B17

I would give my left nut if I could stuimble across a b17a shortblock sometime soon, though. I need the block for sleeving, and the crank for my "stroker". :)

man in california a B17 along with a usdm b18c are like gold, they are the easiest carb legal swap to drop in a EF...

SiR kid, your left nut please, haha. i was considering selling my b17, even had an ad up on superhonda, but no luck, i dont think anyone there knew what it was. its got a 9.7:1 CR, 160 hp and 117 lb-ft of torque.

anyway, ive decided to put it into my 89 crx hf. now i was on the hasport site, and they said in order to do this, i needed to switch to a b16a distrib, injectors, and ecu. im assuming this is to convert the motr from obd1 to obd0. but, as most of us, i dont wanna spend more money than ih ave to, and ialready have everything for the b17. what is the way around this? specific wiring help please. i know i have to shorten the teg shift linkage as well to slip into my rex. any other help is greatly appreciated.

as for the guy who made this thread, sorry to jack it, but i thought i might knock out two birds with one stone. as for your questions...the b17 has a cable tranny while your car has a hydro one. you could simply just buy the motor and by a hydro tranny somewhere else. cable trannies dont typically go for that much so you spend more than you would get in return. hopefully $1500 is for the entire swap, i got a motor, tranny, ecu, shift linkage and full wireharness for $1200.

dude, the easiest thing to do with that engine, is buy it complete for 1500, sell it for 2500-3000, and buy an OBDII B18c.

B17A has the same head as a Type-R except the cams. But if you add CTR piston, ITR intake manifold, and a free flowing cat. You make power just like a B18C5. It's sorta like a cheaper Type-R motor.

It's great for LS/VTEC as well. B17A head will bolt onto any B18A/B18B bottom end. It's pratically user friendly there is no tapping or drilling involve. Also it's good to use the B17A crank as well.

Though B17A are getting rarer everyday. So it might be hard to come by.

Originally posted by civiceg6@Jun 15 2003, 10:35 AM
B17A has the same head as a Type-R except the cams. But if you add CTR piston, ITR intake manifold, and a free flowing cat. You make power just like a B18C5. It's sorta like a cheaper Type-R motor.

It's great for LS/VTEC as well. B17A head will bolt onto any B18A/B18B bottom end. It's pratically user friendly there is no tapping or drilling involve. Also it's good to use the B17A crank as well.

Though B17A are getting rarer everyday. So it might be hard to come by.

Nooooooo......................

It's the same head casting as a Type-R, but that's about where the similarities end. You don't have the R's valvetrain, and you don't have the R's factory port/polish job either. You also don't get the R's intake manifold.

If you use the B17's crank in an LS/VTEC with a B18 bottom block, you might as well drop the entire B17 engine into your car. There's not much point in building another B17 if all you're changing is the block casting... why not just drop in the B17 and save yourself some trouble?

Back