B18 C5 in 94 Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gary05

hi i am gonna attempt to put a B18 C5 (JDM) in a 1994 civic dx coupe. i am going to buy the engine for $4300.00 (complete swap).... when i get the motor i am going to put a skunk 2 intake maifold, dc headers, and skunk2 test pipe...

i kno i have to change the engine harness, and use the JDM B18 C5 computer....right? :huh:

is there anything that i should know of before proceeding to this swap?

wat do u think of the swap...? :)

Quoted post[/post]]
hi i am gonna attempt to put a B18 C5 (JDM) in a 1994 civic dx coupe. i am going to buy the engine for $4300.00 (complete swap).... when i get the motor i am going to put a skunk 2 intake maifold, dc headers, and skunk2 test pipe...

i kno i have to change the engine harness, and use the JDM B18 C5 computer....right? :huh:

is there anything that i should know of before proceeding to this swap?

wat do u think of the swap...? :)

i just put a 00 GSR swap in mine. but for yours, i'm pretty sure it's all plug and play, you have to add the knock sensor and also the IAB......you also have to get the obd1-obd2 harness to use the ITR ecu.......

remember, i'm pretty sure, not 100% positive.......hope this helps! put up some pics when you get it in!!!! :mrgreen:

you will need to wire up VTEC
the OBD-2 ECU will not fit your car without an adapter harness
a chipped P28 is a cheap and easy way to run an ITR engine OBD-1

the skunk2 intake manifold is a waste of money for the ITR... its a copy of the ITR manifold... it only makes a few HP over stock... not worth the price... youd be better off porting and polishing the stock manifold

the DC header again is not worth it... if you dont already have the JDM 4-1 header then get that... the DC 4-1 is a copy of the JDM ITR header... it makes a few more HP over the JDM 4-1, but it does not have the heat sheild mounts so you can not run the http://www.fastlineperformance.com skid plate to protect your header from bottoming out and getting crushed

test pipes are generally fucking garbage, skunk2 or not... they make your car smell like shit, they make your exhaust sound like shit (very raspy and pingy), and you will only make a slight amount of HP over a stock cat and no gains over a decent high flow cat... not to mention the possible (up to) $2500 fine for running a car with no cat... at any rate a cheaper alternative would be http://www.testpipe.com or just make your own

this list is negated if you live in the comunist state of california and you are replacing the IM and header to get pieces with a CARB number... but then why in the fuck would you risk running a test pipe

at any rate its your car and you can do whatever the hell you want

Quoted post[/post]]

the skunk2 intake manifold is a waste of money for the ITR... its a copy of the ITR manifold... it only makes a few HP over stock... not worth the price... youd be better off porting and polishing the stock manifold

the DC header again is not worth it... if you dont already have the JDM 4-1 header then get that... the DC 4-1 is a copy of the JDM ITR header... it makes a few more HP over the JDM 4-1, but it does not have the heat sheild mounts so you can not run the http://www.fastlineperformance.com skid plate to protect your header from bottoming out and getting crushed

test pipes are generally fucking garbage, skunk2 or not... they make your car smell like shit, they make your exhaust sound like shit (very raspy and pingy), and you will only make a slight amount of HP over a stock cat and no gains over a decent high flow cat... not to mention the possible (up to) $2500 fine for running a car with no cat... at any rate a cheaper alternative would be http://www.testpipe.com or just make your own

this list is negated if you live in the comunist state of california and you are replacing the IM and header to get pieces with a CARB number... but then why in the fuck would you risk running a test pipe

if i get the itr's engine wire harnes and the computer woiuldnt that work?

and where can i get a chiped p28 to run a itr obd1?

Quoted post[/post]]

:werd: ... ya beat me to it..

but hey if you still decide to go with it.. sell me the ITR intake manifold

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

if i get the itr's engine wire harnes and the computer woiuldnt that work?

and where can i get a chiped p28 to run a itr obd1?

the engine harness on the JDM ITR is backwards compared to a USDM car (ECU is on the opposite side of the car so it is reversed) and it only connects to the cannon plugs on the shocktowers in the engine bay... the engine harness doesnt go all the way to the ECU

the plugs on the OBD-2 ECU are different than the OBD-1 ECUs so it will not plug in without a conversion harness... conversion harnesses can be rather expensive and then you will have to make sure you are running all of the sensors that the OBD-2 ECU looks for or you will constantly have check engine lights (and if the CEL is always on for some dumb code you dont have a sensor for, then you will not know when it goes on for something important)

chipped P28s are everywhere... you just need to make sure that it is properly programmed for your car... that means a custom burn or a piggy back tuner like a VAFC or something... any of the JUN, Skunk2, Mugen, etc... programs are going to run STUPIDLY rich and will actually lose you power... i have my ITR engine running off a chipped p28 with a modified skunk2 program... before i tuned it with the VAFC i was running an 11:1a/f and was switching lobes WAYYY too late... got it tuned to a still slightly rich 13.5:1a/f and dropped the VTEC crossover a few hundred RPM and ended up gaining about 12 peak hp and about 25 hp in the mid range

the right choice for you will depend on where you are from and the availability of dynos and decent tuners in your area

the coomputer that comes with the itr is that a p28? and if it is how do i get it chiped...???? liike buy a chip and send it for them to program it? and should i make it a obd1 or 2 becasue i dont want any check engine lights......i am really confused!!!......ur saying the itr's engine harness is too short so wat do i do?!?!?thanks so much buddy!

ok i just searched and i found a Skunk2 OBD2 to OBD1 Conversion Harness? will this work?

and is my car 94 honda civic obd1 or obd2? if it is a obd 1 can i use the itr's computer or do i need and p28 ob1 with a conversion harness

ok
running a chipped P28 is the easiest way to do this swap
the P28 is an OBD-1 ECU from a 92-95 EX or Si (SOHC VTEC)
they must be chipped to run a DOHC VTEC engine
you can find them all over most honda classifieds and on ebay... usually under $150

your car is OBD-1
the ITR ECU is OBD-2

the ITR ECU will need a conversion harness to work on your car
to run it properly with no CELs then you need to make sure you add all of the sensors that OBD-2 looks for that OBD-1 doesnt have

for the engine harness you have a few options... either way you will need to add VTEC wires from the ECU to the cannon plugs on the shock towers
after that you can modify your stock harness to fit the ITR engine
or you can get a USDM harness for an OBD-2 (96+) GSR or ITR and plug that in at the shock towers

this is not a very difficult swap to do... i highly recommend doing some more research though... you dont seem like you have really looked into this too far yet... there is a lot of info in the reference section

ok now im getting it....my car is a obd1 and the itr motor is a ob2...i heard that i can run a ob1 p28 chiped...the p28 should fit in my 94 civic's computer harness.......so that means i will not be using the obd2 computer that comes with the engine i am going to use the chiped p28...and the engine harness is going to be pluged in the cannon plugs on the 94 civic and it should work w not CEL's...right?...am i getting it

the JDM harness will not fit your USDM car you need to modify your stock harness or get a GSR or ITR USDM harness

and either way you will need to add the wires for VTEC

ok can i do this....use my 94 stock harness for the itr and use a conversion to convert obd1 to obd2a ..then run 1 vtec wire, 1 oil pressure wire, and 1 knock sensor wire and ill be set?

Quoted post[/post]]
ok can i do this....use my 94 stock harness for the itr and use a conversion to convert obd1 to obd2a ..then run 1 vtec wire, 1 oil pressure wire, and 1 knock sensor wire and ill be set?
You're trying to make this hard on yourself.
Buy a 96 GSR or (usdm) ITR harness.
Buy a chipped p28.
From the cannon plugs to the ecu run the wires for VTEC.
Go.
(Converting an obd1 car to obd2 is a bad suggestion, and no one here or anywhere will tell you to do that or try to do that. Stay obd1)

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
You're trying to make this hard on yourself.
Buy a 96 GSR or (usdm) ITR harness.
Buy a chipped p28.
From the cannon plugs to the ecu run the wires for VTEC.
Go.
(Converting an obd1 car to obd2 is a bad suggestion, and no one here or anywhere will tell you to do that or try to do that. Stay obd1)

i just finished my swap and i want to take time to THANK EVERY1 that help me out...if u guys have any question feel free to post me andi will try to help u gus out in veryway possible!

Back