B18 head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

low-keyseg92

I took what was sold to me as a B18A1 head to a shop to have it pressure tested. The shop says everything checks out and they had it machined to make sure it was not warped. The guy told me the valves were not the correct size to be a B18 head. They said they were bigger than B18 valves. When I put it on the car a few weeks ago the oil and water mixed before I ever started it. Either way my question is.....

Is it possible that it is a JDM head or that it might be a B20 head??? If so what head gasket would I use then. I will make sure of what it is before I leave the shop tomorrow. I compaired the 2 heads before swapping them and they looked the same to me with the exception of the valve cover.

What does the valve cover look like? It might be a B20 head. Their valve covers look like the 96+ LS valve covers...

Id like to know how the oil and water mixed if the motor never ran.

there should be a number stamped on it on the front side by one of the exhaust ports,,

and id also like to know how you made slushies,if the motor never ran

The motor ran when it was still in the integra. I swapped the head because it has a bent valve. I ended up putting the old head back on for now until I could figure out what was going on with the new head...still confusing right...lol. The guy sold me the head saying it is a B18A1 but it never would seal to the block. The head gasket looked like it matched but the water and oil still mixed. It would go straight thru the motor and into the oil. Im guessing its a B20 head. The new head says PR4-1. The head with the bent valve says PR4- 6. The engine is running well...it just sounds like crap. tap tap tap tap etc....can I still use the B20 head with the proper head gasket?????

Last edited:
oh BTW the valve cover was blak (of course) but it was rough and dull not shiney and it has the ridges on it not like the smooth one on the head that came on the car. I just figured it was because it was from a 91 integra (B18A1). IDK if that helps any. I will search pics of the B20 and B18A1 to see if I can get a better idea.

If the valve cover has ridges on it it's from a B18A1 or from a 94-95 B18B1. The 96+ Integras and all the B20-equipped CR-Vs had the smooth valve cover...

After thinking about it for awhile, the original valve cover was the one with the ridges. I like the one that came on the new head because it was smooth and shiney. Im guessing it is a B20. So if they are all interchangable then the HG for the B18 should work.......or should I go ahead and get a B20? I just dont want to pull it apart again and have the oil and water mix. I hate flushing the engine and all the mess with it. lol.

Back