B18 - Help!! 3 Q's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RawEdge

***note for moderator at bottom***

Here's the sitch:

I have a Y2K ('00) teg with extensive body damage and solid drivetrain, automatic, no mods

I see an ad for a '90 teg with 326,000 km's (~200,000 miles) for sale, w/ 5spd manual, 4-2-1 header, Magnaflow exhaust

What I need to know is:
1) Will the 4-2-1 header from '90 B18A bolt to my Y2K B18B, or should I use the stock manifold from Y2K and will that hook up to the Magnaflow?
2) Which OBD/ECU should I use? or does that depend on manifold/header?
3) I want to use the 5spd, but I want to do a flywheel/clutch mod, but they seem to only come as a set for 90-93 or 94-01, Can I use a 90-93 flywheel on Y2K B18? or use the 94-01 clutch on the '90 5spd? or do I have to buy both sets and have leftover parts? or is this even viable? ie: get 94-01 5spd?

I live in a Redneck province in Canada and DO NOT need to pass any emissions to register my car so no need to worry about advice on that for answering my Q's

THANKS TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP

PS On a scale of 1-10, 10 being easiest, how hard is this swap overall? (my brother is an airplane mechanic and can fix anything!!)

***NOTE***
(Sorry for the repeat thread but my subject line was getting readers looking for help, not offering it, on my topic. I tried to edit the title but it only changed within the posting, not on the thread page. If that older posting could be deleted instead of this one would be much appreciated, this is my first posting on this site so I'm a little fresh at this. Again, sorry for the mess)

1.) The header from the 1990 motor should be used if you're putting the engine into the 1990 chassis. That way you're guaranteed that it will bolt up to the existing cat converter and exhaust pipe.

2.) You have some choices for the OBD setup. The easiest thing to do would be to use the original engine's accessories and run it as OBD0. You can also get a conversion harness that will allow you to use an OBD2 ECU. If you plan on building the engine or tuning in the future, then I'd probably get a conversion harness that will allow you to use an OBD1 ECU. Check out www.rywire.com for conversion harnesses. You might want to just call or e-mail them and tell them what you're trying to do and see what they suggest.

3.) You'll want to stick with the 90-93 transmissions. They switched from cable to hydraulic in 94, so a newer transmission won't work in your car without a conversion kit. Just buy the clutch and flywheel for that transmission.

Back