B18a Starting Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B18aCRX

Every few times I try to start my car it grings horribly. The starter is engaging before it hits the flywheel. It has done it off and on since I swapped the B18a engine in my 88 crx hf. It also has a JUN ultra lightweight flywheel. I pulled the starter and cleaned the inner and outer contacts. Does anyone have any suggestions, cause I don't want to buy a new starter if I don't have to. :blink:

I bought a brand new starter and the new one still makes the grinding noise. It is less frequent now than it was before though. Could it have something to do with the jun flywheel or the wiring or something. Please help :unsure:

You might need a new flywheel it must have worn out .
it would have been best to change both things starter anf flywheel

^^^^^
:newbie:

its your battery. It isnt spinning the starter fast enough, so the starter doesnt engage the fly wheel fully. Thats why you here the grind. The battery is probably going out, or not chrging fully. how old is your batt.?

My car was doing the same EXACT thing. I replaced the battery, and it hasn't done it since.

My battery is at least 4 years old, I would have to look at it to get the date off the top. I am currently using the battery from the crx, could this be the problem? <_<

Originally posted by B18aCRX@Sep 18 2003, 12:54 PM
My battery is at least 4 years old, I would have to look at it to get the date off the top. I am currently using the battery from the crx, could this be the problem? <_<

yup.

and if its was four yearrs old, that if definately the prob. replace it.

lol..wow 4 years old..im surprised it could do anything ,also one more tip in between cranks wait a couple seconds

:doh: The battery hmmmm,I guess i never thought of that one i guess it could be the Battery but I REALLY DOUBT IT .try a new one see if it still doing it if it does then its your FLYWHEEL AND NO ONE QUOTE ME DAMMIT I HATE BEING QUOTED :moon:

Originally posted by arpee79@Sep 18 2003, 11:39 PM
:doh: The battery hmmmm,I guess i never thought of that one i guess it could be the Battery but I REALLY DOUBT IT .try a new one see if it still doing it if it does then its your FLYWHEEL AND NO ONE QUOTE ME DAMMIT I HATE BEING QUOTED :moon:

...well you shouldn't...

edit: hahah, you've been quoted, and besides, he alredy said he has a new fly wheel.

I got a new battery and the first time i tride to start it it made that F**King noise. Please does anyone have any more suggestions. And I already got a new flywheel and I don't really want to get another. Thanks for the help :ph34r:

Wait your sayin that you bought a new flywheel, battery and starter and your having this grindin noise. I say check all the wiring to make sure its right, including ground, not having the starter grounded properly will make it do that. But just to be sure check ALL your wiring.

Back