B18A1 and B18B1 differences, and OBD0 and OBD2 ???'s

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OK... A little background,
I have a 89 civic DX HB.
I purchased a B18A1, w/trans: 91 integra axles, ECU, and motor mounts. I've converted the harnes tp MPFI

I found out my B18A1 is toast... (broken motor mount on block)

So my good friend gave me 2 B18B1's that appear to be newer... the valve cover is inset in the middle...

Problem is both of these are missing the distributor, one's god a bent valve, and the other has a bend rod... But between the two I can get a good, working B18B1.

I believe these 2 B18b1's to be OBD2a, how can I tell? The valve cover is not flat, but rather inset in teh middle...

So the question is this, assuming the two new B18b1's are OBD2a, can i take the two and make one complete motor, and use my B18A1's distributor, injectors, resistor box and run it as a OBD0 B18B1? I'll eventually buy a obd2 distributor, ECU, and wiring conversion as I have another stock harness...

does this make sence?

Take the two dead (what i think are OBD2a) B18B1's and use the B18A1 Dizzy, injectors, resistor box and harness and run a B18B1 in OBD0 for now?

How do i tell a motor is OBD1 or OBD2

Please advise, Help is greatly appreciated!

OBD0-OBD2 is gonna be a hella hard conversion. We have a bare block b18a1 in our shop right now, prepped and ready to go (looks brand new...cleaned, washed, gone through the walnut blaster, and bored and honed).

Call the number in the link in my sig if youre interested. Im quite sure it will be a lot easier on you (and probably cheaper too).

OK... so after a little more inspection... Here's what were planning to do.

1 - Take the two B18B1 blocks, and make one good one (head on one, block on the other)

2 - Use the B18A1's Dizzy, injectors, harness (DX converted to MPFI) and resistor box

Which intake will i need to use? B18A1 or B18B1? I'm assuming teh B18B1...

the b18b1 has the better intake manifold, id do what your doing with the head and block. you dont need to change it over to obd2 stay obd0 or go to obd1. where is the pvc vlave located if its on the back of the motor(little black box(obd1)) or on the valve cover(obd2)?

-joseph

Back