B18A1 CRX, Code 43

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Exodus

This is a code I'm not too familiar with. I know it's about fuel supply, but I'm clueless as to where I should start.

90 CRX Si
B18A1 w\J1
89 or 90 CRX Si engine harness (I think it's an 89 actually)
OBD0 PR4 Manual ECU

Any ideas?

Galloping idle, fuel economy fading, intermittent O2 code, never throws cel for it, only blinks, but throws cel for 43, will also blink 43 without throwing it.

Air boost valve is removed and blocked off at manifold, as is dashpot on throttle body, hard vacuum lines were pulled off, most nipples got vacuum caps (no open nipples, I mean most of the nipples were from extra emissions stuff, the necessary ones are used, the extras are all capped off), only stock CRX emissions related item left from the factory is the map sensor. The two valves on the same bracket are gone, the charcoal canister was deleted, the fuel vapor nipple on the firewall breathes to atmosphere, FITV was opened and tightened, I cleaned the IACV with WD40 and air tonight, PCV canister to manifold line is connected directly with no PCV valve in the middle, breather nipple on valve cover is connected to a dump tube that runs behind the rear x-member, FPR is connected to rear of manifold, fuel filter was recently traded out for a newer unit, fuel pump "seems normal", doesn't give me any weird indications that it's on it's way out, my tach signal seems rarely interfered with but it hasn't occurred enough for me to list any symptoms, I'm talkin' once or twice ever, I run only 89 Plus from Shell, 89 still if I'm forced to go elsewhere, compression reads 210, 210, 209, 212, I have yet to check timing, I have no light and I'd like to set it to 18 BTDC, but I'll do that when I verify the timing is accurate (no real indications in drivability that it's off, pulls well), engine was recently overhauled, everything's brand new, plug wires are brand new, but for the wrong B-series, they belong to an engine with a taller deck height on the head, they sit just above where they're supposed to seal down to the valve cover. ECU has stock programmings as far as I know, the center screw had a marker line on it and the case, and it hadn't been turned yet, but shops in my area do the same thing so you can't screw them if you opened it and spilled pop inside.

I'm curious if maybe all of the stock LS fuel demands are higher than what the Si CRX fuel pump provides. I had a buddy with a 90 rex Si who threw the same code not long after the swap, just like mine did. Only, I never knew what came of that situation because he sold it soon after. Does anyone know what the difference in flow rates between the 90 teg and the 90 rex si? I could see the swap demanding too much out of an old pump to fast by the first time it's started and helping accelerate the rest of it's life before it would've went out anyways.

Oh, blanco, where art thou? rofl

Bump, anyone dealt with this?

Think it has something to do with the FPR being hardlined wth a vacuum line to the back of the intake mani and it's not hooked up through the network of hard vacuum lines and that solenoid that looks like it helps control the amount of pressure in the fuel system.. not sure, that could be my problem though.

I had the same problem when i put in my b18a into my hf crx. It took me forever and many dollars wasted replacing parts. I finally found out that it was bad vacuum to the FPR. My lines were dry rotting and routed wrong. So i replaced all my vacuum lines and routed them all correctly then instantly the code went away. I am still running my hf fuel pump and its been goin strong for about 3 years now havent had a need to replace it yet.

Back