B18A1 into a 89 CRX Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DJawsII

This is my first post, so go easy. And I am somewhat old.

I've got a 89 CRX Si 5 speed and want to put in a B18a1 from a 91 Teg LS 5 speed. What needs to be done to do this swap?

Do I need the engine & interior harness from the Teg, plus the ECU? Both I think are cable tranny's so do I need to pull the cable outa the teg as well. How about the shifter? Mounts, trans and engine need to be changed? Anything else? Axles, knuckles, hubs?

This is NOT a daily driver. I'm puttin her on a 1/2 mile high banked oval track and turning left, only.

Final question for now is what is the weight differences between the D & B engines? Significant or not? Reason I thinking ahead about the spring rates on the front suspension and the struts.

Thanks,

Donnie

The weight difference with motor and trans is about 100 pounds heavier for the "B"

You will need to purchase custom motor mounts to mount it into the CRX.. These can be had on ebay. Everyone's favorite is "Hasport" mounts. You will also need a custom shift linkage. You can get them from hasport. I got mine from ebay from a company called "arizona race" They worked perfect.

Get the engine, transmission, axles, ECU, and the engine mounts, you will be replacing them, but you need some stock pieces to bolt 'em up. Might as well grab the spindles while you are at it. You can use the crx's spindles, but you will have to remove the dust rings inside of them. Also, the teggy spindles should have bigger brakes/rotors on 'em. which is only a good thing. And they bolt right up.

You don't NEED any harnesses or wiring, however, I would leave the engine harness on the motor and trans in tact, unplug it up by the firewall. It will plug right into the CRX's harness, and will work just fine. There is no need to get the inside wiring, the ECU will plug right in and function great.

Oh, and snag the teg's throttle cable too, You'll need that. The CRX clutch cable will work fine.

Phyregod said,

"get the engine, transmission, axles, ECU, and the engine mounts,you will be replacing them<span style="color:#FF0000">From the teg or keep those that are in the CRX?</span>, but you need some stock pieces to bolt 'em up. Might as well grab the spindles while you are at it. You can use the crx's spindles, but you will have to remove the dust rings inside of them. Also, the teggy spindles should have bigger brakes/rotors on 'em. which is only a good thing. And they bolt right up.

You don't NEED any harnesses or wiring, however, I would leave the engine harness on the motor and trans in tact, unplug it up by the firewall. It will plug right into the CRX's harness, and will work just fine. There is no need to get the inside wiring, the ECU will plug right in and function great. "

Thanks, the ECU from the CRX will work with this motor or pull the ECU from the teg and plug the inside harness from the CRX into it and then the teg motor harness will plug into it and work?

I appreciate your response.

Donnie

Quoted post[/post]]
Thanks, the ECU from the CRX will work with this motor or pull the ECU from the teg and plug the inside harness from the CRX into it and then the teg motor harness will plug into it and work?

Use the integra ECU. It will plug straight into the stock crx's harness.

Let me clarify: Leave the inside harness alone. If the engine harness is good on the integra motor, leave it intact, don't cut anything, and it will plug into the inside harness via a connector near the fire wall/upper left shock tower.

But, if the Integra's harness is crap, you can use the harness from the Si motor. It'll work too.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Let me clarify: Leave the inside harness alone. If the engine harness is good on the integra motor, leave it intact, don't cut anything, and it will plug into the inside harness via a connector near the fire wall/upper left shock tower.

But, if the Integra's harness is crap, you can use the harness from the Si motor. It'll work too.

ya with the si harness, you may need to extend some plugs.

from the 91 integra you need:

axles
halfshaft
full long block
transmission
rear bracket (for rear mount)
engine harness
front suspension (or remove dust seals from your si hubs.. integra brakes are better though)
throttle cable (si one might work?)
pr4 ecu

aftermarket needs:

conversion mounts.... i always recomend hasports but anything works. On my 89 crx i have some ebay ones and they work mint!
a clutch? why not change it!make sure you get a 90-91!! I'm pretty sure that most of it.

goodluck, sorry if i forgot anything!

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

ya with the si harness, you may need to extend some plugs.

from the 91 integra you need:

axles
halfshaft
full long block
transmission
rear bracket (for rear mount)
engine harness
front suspension (or remove dust seals from your si hubs.. integra brakes are better though)
throttle cable (si one might work?)
pr4 ecu

aftermarket needs:

conversion mounts.... i always recomend hasports but anything works. On my 89 crx i have some ebay ones and they work mint!
a clutch? why not change it!make sure you get a 90-91!! I'm pretty sure that most of it.

goodluck, sorry if i forgot anything!

Got it, yep, I am a pretty good fabricator, I can fab just about anything, with a little time and effort. Motor, trans, mounts, shouldn't be a problem. Is the rack and pinion on the Teg LS better than the CRX Si? Ratio's the same? I'll use the wiring harness on the motor and pull the teg ECU to put into the CRX and use the existing interior wiring. Cool.

Thank You all very much.

Jaws

Back