B18A1 into a OBD II 1996 Civic dx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SLOWHONDA

will i need to change out the hubs on my car to fit b series axles on it or will they work on the hubs i have now reply ASAP please thank you

Axles are the least of your worrys, Your going to spend MONTHS if not longer wiring that thing. Do not even pick that engine up. If you have already, sell it. The internet is a great resorse, On thing that most sites will tell you, dont put an older OBD engine then what your car already has in it. A member here, nimble civic, spent close to 6 months wiring his swap that was similar to this and his brother, who did most of the wiring, is a electrical engineer. Trust me, run.

No, you don't have to change the axles, but as Asmallsol said you are putting an OBD 0 motor in an OBD II car. You are going to need to pretty much buy everything connected to the wiring harness from a 96-99 B18B1, along with a matching ECU. And I hope you don't live somewhere that you have to get smogged, because it won't pass.

Been there, tried that... kept the block but had to change the head... you will neet to get a cable to hydro conversion kit... the axles will fit the hubs fine but the 90-93 teg axles were weaker than the 94+

Don't even bother with the wireing... it's not possible to do it properly. You will need to change the injectors (or get a resistor box), the IACV, the thermostat and thermostat housing, map sensor and other items... You could get away with just changing the complete intake manifold to one from an obd1+ b18b but whats the point unless your head is fully built just change the complete head and get an extra 10hp

OR JUST DONT BOTHER

get a complete b18b swap, obd 1 or obd 2 (if you go obd 1, you will need to get a conversion harness) and you're set

the wiring harness i have will work i have a 94 hydro tranny for it and i have injectors that are obd2 i have the ecu but its being upgraded right now at skunk 2 but as long as the axles will work thats all i was wondering thank you

As far as I know, yes... I am running 93 axles on my 99 tranny (both ls) with no problems as of yet but I know I am going to have to upgrade soon (yumm direct port kit :D )

Seriously, if you are going to attempt this I have some experience doing just this exact swap (got fucked on a swap purchace) and I can help you to a point with some of the problems you are going to encounter

oh yeah... use your existing civic harness, lengthen the injector wires and the iacv wires, change your iacv to a 94+ one (the wires are different and the voltage is not compatable, you will end up with a 4000 rpm idle if you dont do this) and take your map sensor off of your old engine and mount it on your firewall. Replace the 2 sensors on the side of the head (beneath the dist) with the ones from your existing engine (not necessary but newer sensors are always better) and use a 94+ dist (I am not sure about this part, I used the civic dist with a modified rotor and cap... had to machine an adaptor plate for it though)

Good luck

Almost forgot, since you are using a 94 ecu, get an obd2-obd1 conversion harness that has the iacv wires pinned for both civic and integra... most have only pinned one or the other.

Also if you are using the 90-93 axles, you have to use the matching halfshafts, 90-93 teg axles have a male inner joint and the 94+ have a female.

Back