B18a1 or b16a1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cubancrx

Hey guys whats up im new to the forum and to the crx community so nice to meet you all. This is whats up i just bought a crx 1988 and i dont like the engine that comes in it so im thinking in a swap of engines. Right now thereare a couple of options in my maind.
Option number one is a b16a1 the one you can find on the si-r or option number two b18b1 or b18a. but i dont know wish way to go. im buying the all package engine and tranny so if you guy could let me know wish one would be a better option i will appreciate that.
im looking forward for a daily drive with something around the 250 and the 300 whp. but this is the thing here in costa rica honda engines are way to expencive thats way the b18c1 or c5 or a b16b type r is out of the question. so i have two options with in my price range for an engine.
1-b18a1 non vtec 140hp-126torq\
2-b16a1 vtec 160hp -101torq\
speaking with a friend of my he told me that we could get more out of the b18a1 because all ready has more torque and with a t3 t4 turbo kit and some other adjustments we can get to the 300whp easier than with b16a1. but i wanna know your guys opinion because you all have crx and i gues you know honda really good. keep in maind i do want a turbo project.

I say go for the B16. Even though it's a smaller engine, displacement wise, the Vtec head will flow significantly more air. The shorter geared tranny of the B16 will also make up for some of the torque difference and overall you will accelerate faster with the B16 tranny.

You really can't go wrong with either engine. They are both nice platforms to start with.

I would personally go with the B18A because it's larger- so easier to make more power later if you can open up the head. 300whp is doable on both engines without too much trouble.

so they are basiclly the same thig or is easy to get the 300whp with both now i have to find out wish one is sheapper here in costa rica. you will be amaize they are way to expencive down here and the companys that bring the engines they only get them from the states so there is no japon over here

Back