b18a1 question concerning ls/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spdr

I've been reviewing my options whether or not to go with a turbo boost setup on my b18a1 or go with a ls/vtec setup.. its looking to me like the turbo boost is a helluva lot more expensive than the ls/vtec setup.. but which is better in the long run? just wondering your guys opinion on this subject.

You got it all wrong, if you already have the b18a1 then ls/vtec would be you good option, BUT its considered by many people unreliable, I can't talk about reliability because I never built one and experienced it. It is also still more expensive then a boost setup. Your lookin at around 190 whp about $1200 not including the engine.

Boost is the best and defenitly the most reliable way of increasing your hp, and the b18a1 is perfect for it. Low compression engines can boost more on stock internals. A homemade turb kit can cost you less than $1000, depends on what your lookin for. You should be able to easily get 200 whp with a DSM intercooler and BOV, revhard manifold, hondata, and a T3 turbo at 7-9 psi.

I think you should just go and boost that shit because it's going to be cheaper, it'll last longer (depending on mileage), and will just make greater hp.

<edit>
Holy shit, what the fuck, I don't remember writing that

well if i was going to go the route of the homemade turb kit where would i find a good checklist of parts i needed or a good reference to look at? and what is a good suggestion of places to pick up parts at? just curious... thanks

unreliability is just a myth... you must built it right no slop... the pistons must be for a VTEC head... in my opinion it would be wise to choose the head of the same OBD as your car... for wiring issues... then all is left is to wire vtec... Reliability is only an issue if not done correctly.

Consult LSvtec about this as he has done it... a rather nice job if you ask me!

with turbo parts, you gotta tell us what you goal are, what "whp" are you looking for, is it a daily driver, track, drag???

Here's alist of what you will need
Turbo
Wastegate (if nto internally gated)
Intercooler
BOV
Piping
manifold and downpipe
FMU or hondata
injectors

Ebay is a good source to find alot of the parts besides the manifold. Junkyards are good too if you know the difference betweed a good part and a bad part. If you want to just buy a kit, revhard has some good kits, but they're a little pricey.

not looking for a track car at all, just a street car with some edge. is there a used turbo that you recommend and what kind of injectors do they need to be..?

Originally posted by spdr@Oct 22 2003, 12:17 PM
not looking for a track car at all, just a street car with some edge. is there a used turbo that you recommend and what kind of injectors do they need to be..?

A turbo car is gonna give you some serious headaches if its ur daily driver - just the fact you have to let the thing warm up/cool down after you do anything with it - not to mention your gas milage is gonna go way down - Just get the LS/Vtec thing and slap some juice on it and you will smoke your same car with a turbo - for much cheaper.

Back