b18a1 running rich. code 43

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chiaro

i recently bought a 88 civic with a b18a1 motor and its running rich with a cel code 43. ive changed o2. and fuel pump. it has a mugen chip in the ecu. is that causing it to run rich and can i take it out safely? also the dizzy is advanced all the way. dont have access to a timing light right now but when i move it back to tdc it crawls until about 2500 rpm and then starts to go. whats wrong? any help would be appreciated.

'mugen' chips are so generic that who knows what you really have. I don't even think they make non-vtec versions....
It likely is the root cause. If the motor is basically stock, you should get yourself a an unmodded ecu to start fresh, or burn a new

ok i bought a stock obd0 pr4 and installed it. its running better than before but still rich and throwing code 43. could it be fuel injectors?

It's possible th einjectors are larger than oem. If you don't know what you have, perhaps getting a set of oem 240cc injectors would be a good idea.

not without modification. you need obd0 injectors that are peak/hold, not obd1/2 that are saturated.

i didnt put them in. they were installed by the the guy the prevous owner bought it from. if he didnt do it right would that throw the code or is the fact that it is working means that it was installed correctly?

No you can have the wrong injectors and still have the car run, from my own experience.

Did you check the injectors resistance?

Also if your valve clearances/lash is off this could be it too and since you dont have a timing light and it idles around 2500? That doesn't sound right.

If you suspect you have correct injectors you could remove the fuel rail, with help, holding the injectors in the rail turn key to acc, that should pressurize the system and you should see no injectors leaking.

Or, it might be easier to remove spark plugs turn key to acc, and try to smell for fuel in the spark plug holes but this method probably wouldn't be as helpful lol.

no it doesnt idle at 2500, just that it crawls until it hits 2500. i have advanced the dizzy all the way in the meantime and it seems to be running better.
what would happen if the injectors ARE saturated? is that harmful to the car? or does it just run rich?

Back