b18a1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joesbadcrx

O ki just bought a 90 teg ls with a b18a1.Wouldnt it be a v-tec?Also all the motor needs is cam seals and a clutch.So what can i do to this motor for easy hoursepower?Also i need Fenders for it too anyone can sell me them?

If your motor is in good shape and doesn't have too many miles on it defintely get a vtec head. You will eventually want to go LS/Vtec, so you might as well do it first. The LS head flows like complete ass and the cams are worthless. Also getting a shorter geared tranny (b16/GSR) will be a good idea. This will make your car faster and a lot more fun to drive.

you love to tell people to get rid of the LS head...which isn't a bad idea, if he has the extra money it's an excellent idea, and good for what 40-50 hp?

But if he's not up for the work and the engine is in good shape his next best bet would be to go with a turbo kit, then even if he does keep the LS trans it isn't going to be terrible.

If you have the doe, when you go to change the clutch try to ditch the LS trans.

dyno_hpitr.jpg

B18B 404's, 3" SRI, DC 4-2-1, 2.25" exhaust - tuned with e-manage
top one ls, bottom typer witch power band would you choose? o and i think that was stock compression. this is style tegs dyno.

where's the rest of it?? the TQ curve is important.. not to mention the fact that the LS peaks around 6500 RPM.

mine, lsvtec -- ctr intake cam/itr exhaust cam pr3 pistons
final_tune.jpg

idk where the tq is but i would assume the ls with a bigger stroke has more tq. im saying not to much was done to that ls and is still produceing a very good power band

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Feb 7 2005, 03:13 AM
If your motor is in good shape and doesn't have too many miles on it defintely get a vtec head. You will eventually want to go LS/Vtec, so you might as well do it first. The LS head flows like complete ass and the cams are worthless. Also getting a shorter geared tranny (b16/GSR) will be a good idea. This will make your car faster and a lot more fun to drive.
[post=457337]Quoted post[/post]​

why dont you just add that to your sig, anytime LS pops up in a post you say the same thing

Originally posted by racintweek+Feb 9 2005, 04:42 AM-->
beerbongskickass
@Feb 7 2005, 03:13 AM
If your motor is in good shape and doesn't have too many miles on it defintely get a vtec head.  You will eventually want to go LS/Vtec, so you might as well do it first.  The LS head flows like complete ass and the cams are worthless.  Also getting a shorter geared tranny (b16/GSR) will be a good idea.  This will make your car faster and a lot more fun to drive.
[post=457337]Quoted post[/post]​

why dont you just add that to your sig, anytime LS pops up in a post you say the same thing
[post=458472]Quoted post[/post]​

lol

funny how he is sportin a D

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Feb 9 2005, 06:11 PM
I always post the same thign because it's true...

Oh and what's so funny about sporting a d-series?
[post=458798]Quoted post[/post]​

The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of high output ls motors using, you guessed it, ls heads. Just because the vtec head has better flow out of the box than the ls head does, this doesn't mean that a pnp'd ls head can't outperform a pnp'd vtec head. Using the ls head also cuts down on system complexity over the vtec head. I am not saying the ls head or vtec head is the best. I'm just saying that you can put together an ls head that performs as well as a vtec head. and it's usually cheaper.

The fact that you sport a D-series is not funny; it's the fact that you give dumbass answers to questions pertaining to an engine that you don't even have. If you keep saying that ls/vtec is the way to go, then why don't you have one? The d-series engine is so much less of a platform to work with than the b-series; why didn't you get a ls/vtec? That will out perform a d-series engine hands down, won't it? There are 32454334112345 ways to make power, and only one of those ways involves slapping a vtec head on a ls block. If someone asks "I have an LS motor, what to do", stop telling them to get a vtec head. Chances are, they have already ruled that one out due to lack of funds. You need to dig a little deeper than that, or just STFU. Thanks
Mike

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Feb 9 2005, 10:53 PM
The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of high output ls motors using, you guessed it, ls heads. Just because the vtec head has better flow out of the box than the ls head does, this doesn't mean that a pnp'd ls head can't outperform a pnp'd vtec head. Using the ls head also cuts down on system complexity over the vtec head. I am not saying the ls head or vtec head is the best. I'm just saying that you can put together an ls head that performs as well as a vtec head. and it's usually cheaper.

The fact that you sport a D-series is not funny; it's the fact that you give dumbass answers to questions pertaining to an engine that you don't even have. If you keep saying that ls/vtec is the way to go, then why don't you have one? The d-series engine is so much less of a platform to work with than the b-series; why didn't you get a ls/vtec? That will out perform a d-series engine hands down, won't it? There are 32454334112345 ways to make power, and only one of those ways involves slapping a vtec head on a ls block. If someone asks "I have an LS motor, what to do", stop telling them to get a vtec head. Chances are, they have already ruled that one out due to lack of funds. You need to dig a little deeper than that, or just STFU. Thanks
Mike
[post=458853]Quoted post[/post]​

How are my answers dumb? The fact that I don't have an LS motor make no difference at all, I still have some experiance with them. I have watched maybe 5 LS and LS/Vtec turbos dyno with my own eyes, they were all friends of mine (going to the dyno saturday actually). I have rode in LS and LS/Vtec's with and without a turbos. I have seen quite a few dyno charts and videos of both setups online as well. It's enough experiance to know that LS/Vtec > LS. You will probably get a good 50whp gain going from an LS turbo to LS/Vtec turbo, it's easy horsepower. Honda motors make all their power at high rpms, so the higher you rev the better. The powerband on LS/Vtec's are much better, the LS power starts droping off around 5500 rpms, but the vtec heads power keeps climbing.

All the big boys run vtec heads. There are very few high horsepower cars using LS heads over vtec heads. The vtec heads are great in stock form right from the factory, no need to build them for most of us. Just getting some cams and a basic PnP for your LS isn't anything special, and even with that, it won't outperform a stock B16/GSR head. To get an LS head built right and flowing good, it's going to cost a lot of money, it will be cheaper just to go with an LS/Vtec. Also what is so complex about a vtec head? It's great technology, you get better idle and part throttle driving with the smaller lobes, and better performance with the bigger lobes, all in one set of cams. That is perfect for a daily driver and more fun since you get to rev higher.

I have 3 friends that went LS turbo in the last year or two, and they were all on budgets. All of them did custom turbo kits, but guess what? One of them already went LS/Vtec turbo, and the other two are planning on going LS/Vtec turbo. That's why I always say if you have an LS motor, get a vtec head from the start because you will probably want to eventually anyways. They all have said they would prefer a shorter geared tranny as well.

Honestly I don't care what anybody goes with, it's their car. I am just letting them know what I have learned/seen since I got into hondas. I'm not saying LS/Vtec is the only way to go, your taking what I say the wrong way. I know there are other ways to make power, but going LS/Vtec would be a great investment in the long run especially if your going turbo (good bang for the buck). You b-series guys have more options than me. I really don't have too many options being d-series. If I could just swap in a shorter geared tranny and a better flowing head I would do it. Oh and why I went with a d-series is off topic, but basically it's cheaper and the engine was already in my car (I can explain in more detail if you like).

Well joesbadcrx keep an eye out for my spring write. I am making a custom LS TURBO setup. I will dyno it and get back to ya :)

beerbong knows his shit, i mean i don't think I'm goin LS/Vtec anytime soon but he make perfect sense. It's a great power adder.

I personally am going turbo, just awaiting parts. I went turbo because I have experience with it (besides the fuel management) and it makes VERY nice HP numbers. A turbo LS setup will make more than an LS/VTec setup...but it's also more expensive. Well in most cases, I'm doing my tubro setup and I've spent around $6-700 so far and only have Fuel Management left to buy. Most decent turbo setups (mine is decent but it's not the "best") cost anywhere from 1000+, mid range of 3k for a nice setup. LS turbos usually make 200-250 easily

Ls/Vtec costs around 5-800 (?right?) and make 30-50 hp...but future modifications will have more of a gain to them, and will be worth it in the long run.

If I ever do LSvtec, I'm going to do it after the turbo...but that's just me.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Feb 10 2005, 09:38 AM
If I ever do LSvtec, I'm going to do it after the turbo...but that's just me.
[post=458984]Quoted post[/post]​

Nothing wrong with doing it that way if you just want a little more horsepower. I only suggest getting a vtec head first so you can get it out of the way and you will only have to tune it once. You can also plan your turbo kit (turbo size mostly) a little better since you will be revving to 8.5k instead of 7k. Yout LS turbo guys need to take it easy, it's just a car forum. Everybody always wants more boost/power once they go turbo anyways. ;)

Originally posted by beerbongskickass+Feb 10 2005, 04:08 AM-->
MikeBergy
@Feb 9 2005, 10:53 PM

Mike
[post=458853]Quoted post[/post]​

How are my answers dumb? The fact that I don't have an LS motor make no difference at all, I still have some experiance with them. I have watched maybe 5 LS and LS/Vtec turbos dyno with my own eyes, they were all friends of mine (going to the dyno saturday actually). I have rode in LS and LS/Vtec's with and without a turbos. I have seen quite a few dyno charts and videos of both setups online as well. It's enough experiance to know that LS/Vtec > LS. You will probably get a good 50whp gain going from an LS turbo to LS/Vtec turbo, it's easy horsepower. Honda motors make all their power at high rpms, so the higher you rev the better. The powerband on LS/Vtec's are much better, the LS power starts droping off around 5500 rpms, but the vtec heads power keeps climbing.

All the big boys run vtec heads. There are very few high horsepower cars using LS heads over vtec heads. The vtec heads are great in stock form right from the factory, no need to build them for most of us. Just getting some cams and a basic PnP for your LS isn't anything special, and even with that, it won't outperform a stock B16/GSR head. To get an LS head built right and flowing good, it's going to cost a lot of money, it will be cheaper just to go with an LS/Vtec. Also what is so complex about a vtec head? It's great technology, you get better idle and part throttle driving with the smaller lobes, and better performance with the bigger lobes, all in one set of cams. That is perfect for a daily driver and more fun since you get to rev higher.

I have 3 friends that went LS turbo in the last year or two, and they were all on budgets. All of them did custom turbo kits, but guess what? One of them already went LS/Vtec turbo, and the other two are planning on going LS/Vtec turbo. That's why I always say if you have an LS motor, get a vtec head from the start because you will probably want to eventually anyways. They all have said they would prefer a shorter geared tranny as well.

Honestly I don't care what anybody goes with, it's their car. I am just letting them know what I have learned/seen since I got into hondas. I'm not saying LS/Vtec is the only way to go, your taking what I say the wrong way. I know there are other ways to make power, but going LS/Vtec would be a great investment in the long run especially if your going turbo (good bang for the buck). You b-series guys have more options than me. I really don't have too many options being d-series. If I could just swap in a shorter geared tranny and a better flowing head I would do it. Oh and why I went with a d-series is off topic, but basically it's cheaper and the engine was already in my car (I can explain in more detail if you like).
[post=458958]Quoted post[/post]​

I'll dyno my NA straight LS when it comes back from Rocket. I spent nothing but my own time and a few bucks on bits for porting the head myself. All the money I have spent on my ls has gone into the bottom end, and a valve job, which would be needed on a VTEC head anyway. Good luck proving to me that the vtec haed is cheaper, because that is not the case. I have a vtec head, and I will use it, but on a block that was designed to safely rev that high. The ls block geometry .is one of the two main problems the ls motor has. piston velocities get too high, and side loading on the main rod bearings becomes an issue for the ls motor at high rpms. That is why I am running longer rods and custom pistons in my block. The other problem is the rocker arms, which I will admit, the vtec head has the ls beat. But I don't plan on making power above 8500, so I am taking a risk assuming that it won't be an issue. 8500 is a high engine speed relative to stock, but I am sure the rocker arms will be fine. I have another motor in mind for my high revving needs anyway. As far as long term goes, I certainly plan on having a nicer car than a honda in the next five years. Engineering mechanics is just a hobby of mine, and I plan on going through lots of different engine setups. You are right on about the d-series though, and I understand your reasoning for having it. It is the same reasoning that prevents people from going ls/vtec, when, for just a little more work than is required to pop on a new head, they can have comparable performance using something they worked on themselves. If you are not a diy type of person, by all means, get a vtec head. It certainly requires less actual work.

Back