B18B build questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SiR_crx

so the 91' crx really isn't moving very fast...(by moving very fast i mean not selling) i'm getting frustrated... if the car had A/C i'd keep it... but i guess i'll make it work...

Anywho, the B18B is getting rebuilt... it will be turbocharged....

so heres what i'm unsure of... do i do a V-tec conversion or say f*ck it and just get some decent cams???

can anyone recomend pistons and rods??? preferably 9:1 compression forged pistons and decent rods...

is the stock crank going to be able to hold up to a decently built motor running upwards of 20 PSI of boost???

shoot me some suggestions and where i can buy the parts at... money really isn't a huge issue... but i guess i've got about $4000 set aside to get the motor internals, turbo and other turbo related parts, and all the other goodies i'll be needing with the motor build...

thanks in advance...

Last edited:
so the 91' crx really isn't moving very fast... i'm getting frustrated... if the car had A/C i'd keep it... but i guess i'll make it work...

Anywho, the B18B is getting rebuilt... it will be turbocharged....

so heres what i'm unsure of... do i do a V-tec conversion or say f*ck it and just get some decent cams???

can anyone recomend pistons and rods??? preferably 9:1 compression forged pistons and decent rods...

is the stock crank going to be able to hold up to a decently built motor running upwards of 20 PSI of boost???

shoot me some suggestions and where i can buy the parts at... money really isn't a huge issue... but i guess i've got about $4000 set aside to get the motor internals, turbo and other turbo related parts, and all the other goodies i'll be needing with the motor build...

thanks in advance...

I like to run SRP or JE pistons. I like to use the SRP pistons because you can get them in .25mm oversize. They are the only aftermarket company i have seen to make this small of a oversized piston without having to order custom ones. This helps keep your block as strong as possible. For the money Eagle rods are the way to go, I have seen them take some ungodly abuse. You dont really need the vtec head. Both of my friends boosted their ls engines and made plenty of power. Here is a link to a shop i used to work for and this is my friends ride Transonic Forum

Too bad that the owner had to be a thief and a liar, it was a fun place to work. But some people cant be trusted. He has been sued by more then a few people i know. So stay away from him!!

The crankshaft could easily hold the power, however without sleeveing the block it will not hold that kind of boost. With sleeves it wouldnt be a problem. You would definetly be over your budget if you wanted a sleeved block.

I would recommend leaving the head the way it is but having a valve job done. Then I would get the forged pistons and rods, new bearings, gaskets, oil and water pumps, arp headstuds, etc etc. You can get all of the parts you need from different places. You messaged me earlier expressing some interest in me building this for you. If thats the case I would order all of the parts because i get discounts through acura and so on.

Plus if you have me build this I can tune it out for you. There isnt many people in the area anymore that do this sort of thing these days. The only trusworthy shop around is Sublime and they are more then ridiculously expensive. Not to mention they wont tune with CROME, so you will end up paying for some expensive ass fuel management system and their dyno time is way expensive. Something like $125 per hour for tunning. You figure they will rack up as many hours as possible too!!

if your boosting, dont worry about vtec. it wont really benefit much. it wont hurt anything i guess but i would just put my money in building the block and a good quality turbo setup

if your boosting, dont worry about vtec. it wont really benefit much. it wont hurt anything i guess but i would just put my money in building the block and a good quality turbo setup

your crazy, you make so much more power with vtec. ls/vtec turbo with stock b16 head and sleeved/built bottom end 9.0:1 compression made 420whp with a 60trim and hondata ONLY on 13psi. You will make 300whp with just built LS so its worth it to go vtec.

Hey I am a NON vtec guy. I would go NON vtec all the way, The vtec thing is jus playd out. I had a b18b also LS VTEC lol. I noticed it suffered at the 5500 rpm. As when I had Jus the Non vtec It did not even hesitate past 5500, so mos def go NON vtec bro.

Back