b18b crank b18c block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

typesiracing

i'm planning on doing an ls/vtec turbo setup but i plan on doing it a little differently..my setup is b16 head with a b18c block...but i wanna put ls, crank and rods in it.....i was told that some people already had this setup but just recently someone told me that it wouldn't work....is that true? they said that the crank would hit the oil squirters in the gsr block....i think thats not true but does anyone know for sure? according to him it has to be machined to work. thanks guys

First off, and LS/vtec conversions is just that an LS block not a gsr block like you have. Second why would you want to put and ls crank and rods in a c1 block. Just stick with what you have.

Originally posted by 97CTR@Jan 3 2004, 09:32 AM
Second why would you want to put and ls crank and rods in a c1 block. Just stick with what you have.

thats what i would do, but he probally wants little bit of extra displacement.

Originally posted by K2e2vin+Jan 3 2004, 09:46 AM-->
@Jan 3 2004, 09:32 AM
Second why would you want to put and ls crank and rods in a c1 block. Just stick with what you have.

thats what i would do, but he probally wants little bit of extra displacement.

yep! I thought about doing this to my GSR to get that lil more tq! OH and im pretty sure if you use 9:1 comp pistons for an ls and put them in a GSR it makes it 9.8:1 comp....dont hold me too that but ive heard that somewhere! but in my opinion try to get that ls crank knifedged (<--sp?) and balanced so you can take it a higher. Just my .02!

the actual crank can spin fast, its the rods and valvetrain that usually fail. balancing also helps out alot.

i'm sure the valvetrain will hold up i have crower dual springs and retainers....and i'm getting forged pistons and steel rods......all i want to know is will the crank work, fit?.....the reason i'm doing it this way is because i want the extra torque.....thanks

Originally posted by typesiracing@Jan 3 2004, 08:15 PM
i'm sure the valvetrain will hold up i have crower dual springs and retainers....and i'm getting forged pistons and steel rods......all i want to know is will the crank work, fit?.....the reason i'm doing it this way is because i want the extra torque.....thanks

final answer, yes.

Originally posted by lude68@Jan 3 2004, 09:56 AM

OH and im pretty sure if you use 9:1 comp pistons for an ls and put them in a GSR it makes it 9.8:1 comp

the usdm gsr has a compresion of 10.0:1, the jdm is 10.6:1.

Originally posted by K2e2vin+Jan 3 2004, 10:38 PM-->
Originally posted by typesiracing@Jan 3 2004, 08:15 PM

final answer, yes.

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you don't know for sure and shouldn't have made that post.

lude68
@Jan 3 2004, 09:56 AM
OH and im pretty sure if you use 9:1 comp pistons for an ls and put them in a GSR it makes it 9.8:1 comp

i'm also goin' to say that you are wrong. but i could be wrong also... so flame away. i believe the ls and the gsr have the same deck height. so if you were to swap out LS internals into a GSR block then you would have a LS + oil squirters or a gsr + .00000054654L... whichever way you wanna look at it.

as for the original question, i couldn't tell ya, and i'm not too sure anybody on this fourm could for sure either. but good choice on build, i like your idea/reasoning and good luck.

Originally posted by Del Slw@Jan 6 2004, 08:51 PM
just give me your b18c block, and i'll give you my b18a block. that will solve everything!

-Robbie

ok where do i send it to?........ha ha

...no seriously though thanks all for the replies.....i was just informed by someone who has the setup that it does not in fact clear, but all you have to do is move the oil squirters slightly to give you enough clearance....right now i'm gonna run it with the type r pistons in it till i got everything i need for the turbo setup......to be continued

Back