B18b -> Del Sol Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dr_Jay

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this engine swapping thing and I have a few questions, though.

I have a 93 Del Sol Si and my goal is to keep it daily driven, but have approx 250 hp in it (at least enough to keep up with my cousin's SR20DET Silvia :D )

I'm itching to do a swap and need to know a few basics and also know what considerations I should take. I'd like to use a B18B and turbocharge it, but I don't really know the first thing about swapping. Is this engine compatible with the stock Del Sol transmission? What other parts do I need besides the engine?

I've also heard things from a few of my friends saying that a B20Z? (CRV) engine is the way to go if I want large displacement plus forced induction. Any thoughts on this?

What kind of turbo and intercooler kits do you recommend? I hear that Garrett is one of the best, but I like to keep my options open.

One last thing, I live in Canada so I assume all the prices you folks talk about are in USD, so how much would the swap and turbo approximately cost?

Cheers,

Jay

The CRV block is ok for boost but even with just low boost pressures, you are going to need to get that block re sleeved which is about 800. If I was going to go the 2.0 route, I would buy a b18b engine and bore it out to 2.0 liters or 84mm. This way you would have a bullet proof bottom end. If you are only expecting 250 hp, the plane old stock ls (b18b) is fine for you. No, your stock tranny will not work, you have to get one with your swap. 95% of the time in honda's, when you buy a swap, it comes with almost everything you need.

When you get your swap, it should include theses things with the complete swap...

axles (from an integra)
ECU
assortment of OEM mounts from Integra's (not sure what ones you need)
Tranny
All the other little stuff that will be attached to the engine.

Other things that are musts that dont come with the engine swap
Since you have a del Sol, you need the del Sol VTEC shiftlinkages (94-97)
New timing belt
Water Pump
Should do a clutch and flywheel
Extra 100 for the little things you need like fluids and shit that brakes. Next you should have more money save up for bolt ons right after the swap.

If you have any other questions ask away.

Is this engine compatible with the stock Del Sol transmission?

No, you should get the B18b1 motor and tranny together, or if you want the GSR tranny will give you better gearing. B-series and D-series parts are not compatable.

One last thing, I live in Canada so I assume all the prices you folks talk about are in USD, so how much would the swap and turbo approximately cost?

Where in Canada do you live? I'm in B.C. B)

Thanks for the responses :)

I still had a couple questions come into mind:

How much boost can the stock b18b engine take?

A friend is offering a Spoon block to me for $4000 (CDN). I've heard Spoon makes pretty powerful engines. Is this something I should look into? What kind of things need to be added to the block, and what kind of head should go with it?

Where in Canada do you live? I'm in B.C.

I live in Alberta, right next to you! :blink:

Your friend is probally shitting you. He probally has a spoon head gasket and then he is calls it a spoon engine. A true spoon long block (no tranny, no alterator, just block, head and everything inside) will cost you a good 6 grand US. It is good performance with OEM quality. Plus even if it is a true spoon block, spoon hates boost, you will be hearind a boom the first time the turbo spools up.

well, if you want to go the GSR route (B18C1) you can put add a DRAG Stage 2 on it. The place that put the GSR into my del sol has another del sol customer who has a built GSR (skunk2 EVERYTHING) w/ RC550 injectors and a Drag Stage 2 turbo boosting 18psi. He took it to the dyno last week and hit 333hp at the wheels :eek: . His eventual goal is 400. Given enough money and time (both of which he has in abundance...) he'll do it.

If you're considering this, you better have DEEP pockets! Just swapping the GSR engine in with NOTHING else will run you about $6000 after you get into labor and extra pieces. Tack $4000 onto this for the skunk 2 additions and the machine shop work (milling, porting, polishing, decking, balancing, 5 angle valve job, blah..) . Then slap $3000 just for the BASIC parts for the turbo. Spend another $800 installing and tuning the turbo. THEN pump up the boost and get RC550 injectors for about $200 each. THEN spend MORE ungodly money and shoptime tuning and dyno testing. Be prepared to spend money for tuning every time you turn the key from then on b/c running that level of power demands that everything be absolutely perfect 100% of the time. Even a small issue non-threatening issue on an NA car turns into a BANG! at higher levels.

You'll have a $20,000 del sol by the time you're done.... but it'll be fast as snot! B)

Wow that souped up sol sounds incredibly crazy :blink:

I was wondering how much power a stock b18b would go with a turbo. I didn't want obsene power in my car, since I'm going to be doing up my other car (240 sx) within a couple years. I just wanted to give my sol enough balls to give some of its bigger cousins a good run for their money :p Beating a few large displacement domestics would be fun too :D

Any other suggestions with the b18b swap? Like what kind of turbo should I get for it? How is Garrett compared to Greddy?

your trying to keep up with a sr20det have fun you can run over 300hp on all stock componets with that engine. I would go the b20 way because then no need of boring out anything and as long as you arent runing crazy boost nothing is going to happen. The only draw back would be all changing that you have to do to it like the intake manifold and the head. Meh do what you want though your money. Cause a gsr may cost more at the start so after the build up of both engines you make come to the same price. all i can say is do some research

Originally posted by southernsol Posted on Apr 15 2003@ 08:29 PM
Just swapping the GSR engine in with NOTHING else will run you about $6000 after you get into labor and extra pieces. Tack $4000 onto this for the skunk 2 additions and the machine shop work (milling, porting, polishing, decking, balancing, 5 angle valve job, blah..) . Then slap $3000 just for the BASIC parts for the turbo.

Holy shit,where did you get those outrageous prices from???What is that canadian dollars or something?

yah probably canadian import shops suck ass and try to jerk us around alot i think all there prices needed to be changed because those are old prices when ar dollar was worth shit now its worth more so yah. canadian money sucks but the beers great.

Alright, I think I've decided on getting the b18b. Is the transmission something to be concerned about? What's the diff between a b18b tranny and a b18c tranny, and can I have a b18c on the b18b?

How much does a b18b w/tranny go for? I got a couple quotes for 1000 - 1200 CDN, but that's without a transmission. I think the transmission would cost between 800-1200 as well. I also got quoted 6000 on a b18c engine, so I'm wondering if that would be worth with, in case I decide not to go turbo. Are those decent prices?

One more thing, and this will show how much of a noob I am: Would changing the transmission affect the throw of my shifter? I really like the way the stock del sol feels, and I'm wondering if that would be compromised.

Back