B18B into 99 DX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

giantrobot

I'm on a budget here,and I need some cheap power.I've seen some 5th gen hatches w/turbo B18Bs running 11s and thought this may be a sneaky way to do it instead of the usual VTEC route.Can anyone help me with info on swapping an LS motor,OBD2,into my 99 DX? This is my daily driver,so the more torque the better,and although I'll probably keep it n/a at first,turboing it is certainly a possiblity in the future.Any help on this swap would be great,because I can't seem to find anything on it.

Hey, Im doing the same swap on my 97 DX. I just got my motor last week and I've asked the same question. The answers that i got were pretty basic, I was told if they are both the same type of obd-II, then it should be just a basic, plug and play type of swap. Thats just what I have been told. If you have any specific questions on something, let me know and I will try to answer.

Well,just a basic overview of what may be different than a B-series VTEC swap,if anything. I've got SO many questions its not funny... :lol: I want to get a motor as close to the year of my car as possible.If you could list what I should get for parts from the Integra that would be great.I don't want to lose a/c or anything else,I don't even want to be able to TELL I've done a swap unless you press down the accelerator or look under the hood...

I've looked at all possiblities,from turboing my D16,swapping on a Y8 vtec head,up to a B16/B18 VTEC swap,and this is one that seems to make a lot of sense so far from many angles(cost,upgradability,ease of swap..I think,etc) I would LOVE to have VTEC,but since I want to keep the motor as close to the year of my car as I can,the cost is too much for me.I think the B18B would make my driving experience much more enjoyable right away,and the possibilities of ls/vtec swap or turbo later are enticing.

get a complete changeover from a 99-up integra ls.

you're gonna use your stock harness on the motor.

mount-wise, you'll use the b-series back mount, and your stock passenger and driver's side mounts.

pretty much, youre gonna do this:

1. pull stock motor
2. take wiring harness off stock motor and put on b18
3. drop b18 into car
4. plug ls ecu into ecu plugs

thats more or less it.

Wow..easier than I thought. :D Thanks.I know it's such a common question probably,but I appreciate any help.I figured any B-series swap,same OBD,would be pretty much the same ,but wasn't sure.

You say 99+ LS,but what if I get a 96-98?? Same deal? I'd love same year or better,but if the price is right and the swap the same,I go for it.

have you gotten the motor yet? if not i'd think about a B20z too. More horsepower and torque than an LS and good for boosting later on down the road.

You know,that is a possibility too.I thought that swap involved more stuff,maybe thats why I hadn't thought of it.My folks have a CRV,so maybe I can switch motors with them and they won't notice.. :p

if you get a 96-98 youre gonna have to either buy another ecu, or get a jumper to use the 96-98 ecu.

with a b20, youre gonna have to buy a transmission separately, and a transmission by itsself can get pretty pricey.

b20>b18b, but b18b is teh cheaper than a b20.

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Jan 23 2004, 05:07 PM
have you gotten the motor yet? if not i'd think about a B20z too. More horsepower and torque than an LS and good for boosting later on down the road.

the B20z its the B18b thats been bored bigger.
B20b=126hp
B20z=146hp
b18b=142hp

the B20 have thinner wall, u have to resleeve it if u want to boost a lot with the b20

if u can get the B20 for cheaper than the b18 than go for it
but if not would get the B18b over the b20

IMO....

Back