B18B1 jumped timing-how bad is it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tscheerer

Bought a 94 Integra LS 141k with B18B1 not running. Turns over OK but makes a clacking sound. Has spark and fuel. Removed valve cover and found cams out of time. When intake is at 12 (up) exhaust is about 5. Also found timing belt has missing/chipped teeth. Haven't got to crank yet to see if one or both are out of time. No noticable damage to valvetrain. Pistons look OK from spark plug holes. So how bad is this likely to be? If I put a new belt on and set cam timing correctly, is it likely to be OK or am I probably going to need to replace bent valves or repair other damage?

Not sure but I would have all the parts you would need if somethings fucked up. Try the new belt and re time it you may get out alright. It depends how long it was running out of time, and how far out. You said the pistons looked good so you may not have smashed the valves into the piston. But, carbon build up may have already disguised that. Like I said if you fucked something up i have almost brand new parts. Freshly machined head that hasnt been installed with new valve guides and re-cut seats along with I think are new valves, may be re-cut.

Replace the belt, set the timing correctly, and then perform a leakdown test on it. If it comes up good, you should be fine. If you've got bent valves as a result of the event, your leakdown test will show it.

Back