b18c1 or b18c5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pongopig12

ok so I new to this whole honda world and to this fourm.

Well here is my question, I want to do a b18c1 or b18c5 into my 1990 crx and I am jsut woundering whats all involed? what do I have to modify? price range? what engine would be a better choice? I am looking to do this next year and the reason I am asking now is so that I prepared and make sure I know what I am getting into:p

this is going to be my daily driver also so it the motor will stay stock minus stuff like like lightweight flywheel and little bolt on stuff like that

i am sure that you guys get asked this all time and are sick of it but instead of searching and butting in on other peoples threads all my questions will be here :)

thanks

Obivously if money is no option the type r engine would certainly be a much better choice than the gsr. The type r engine is going to be about 50% more expensive than a gsr though. Since most of us aren't made of money it just depends on how much you want to spend. If your looking at having an engine shipped to you, rather than purchasing locally, than hmotorsonline is the best place to go. Its a very reputable place to buy from.

things you'll need:

-Engine itself w/ trans
-90-93 integra axles NON-abs
-90-93 integra MANUAL intermediate shaft
-P72 obd2 ecu (obd2a or obd2b depends on the year of the engine you get)
-Rywire harness, Rywire - Online Store
-90-93 throttle cable
-B-series into EF shift linkages (avid, hasport, innovative, ebay)
-Motor mounts (avid, hasport, innovative)
-B18 manual tranny speed sensor (assuming your keeping the stock cluster)
-90-93 integra drivers side engine bracket
-90-93 integra rear transmission bracket, must be from a manual

-Theres a resistor box near the driver side shock tower with a green plug that needs to be removed since its unneccesary for obd1 or obd2 engines. once you disconnect the box just take the 5 wires in the harness (4 red, 1 yellow) and solder them together.
-You need to remove the dust covers from the backside of your hubs to make room for the axles so they don't bind.
-Where the alternator sits on b-series engines you'll need to bang out a pocket in your framerail, otherwise your alt. pulley will rub the frame. You'll probably have the engine in and out a few times to get this right.
-Since i imagine you'll be using the hydro tranny that comes with either of these engines you're going to need a motor mount kit that is designed for a hydro tranny. Hasport has a kit with the hydro side tranny mount, and also the parts needed to convert the hydro tranny actuator so that it will accept your stock clutch cable. Hasport 1988-1991 Civic and CRX B-Series Engine Swap Mounts Hydraulic Transmission 6061 T-6 Aluminum
-Also if your car is DPFI you'll need to convert it to MPFI. If your cars an Si,Hf, or Ex, your already good to go.

pic of dust rings to be removed
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9167/58973881nf7.png
and the clearance for alternator
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7121/62944726vi2.png
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/3908/22182591qh4.png

I think that about covers most of it

Back