b18c1 worth the $1200 more than b16?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

solutionzero

Alright well I'm getting a 92-95 hatch and I am looking at my options on motors. I'm not rich so I can't get the c5 type r motor but I could probably get away with the b18c1 GSR motor. My question, Is getting the b18c1 over the b16 worth the extra $1200 or so. I want to go all motor on my hatch so no turbo. Which of these two can be built for NA better? I realize that stock the b16 has less power than the b18c1 but I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra money. I wan't a quick daily driver that I can drag on weekends with if I want. I can do the swap myself so no need for the extra money for a shop to rip me off. Any feedback is appreciated.

Do a b20 VTEC bulidup. It would be cheaper than the GSR and would be much higher HP.

-Or, if building an engine is out of the question, just go with the GSR, its got gobs more torque (as compared to a b16).

i say ls vtec nice and quick and around the same money as a b16 and gsr as a matter of fact i got an ls block that needs rebuilt for cheap pm if u r interested

The guy didn't ask about lsvtecs, and to build them well enough to compete with a GSR can run well over the cost of a B16A.

I like the B16A, but when I find a 1.8 block, I'm going to swap it out. If your planning on racing any, I'd start with the faster motor, which is the GSR, but if you're being money conscience, than a B16A can be made as strong in time with a little work.

Well I am on somewhat of a budget. If I get a b16 I do plan on building it up before i put it in the car but if I fork over the extra $1200 for the GSR motor I will only be doing the few cliche bolt ons (intake, header, exhaust) and probably won't be able to do much more. If I do decide to build a b16, I hear good things about spoon sports. Is spoon the best for building an NA b16 or are there better?

gsr with bolts ons in a hatch is plenty good. i got a gsr with just bolt ons in my EJ coupe and its feels good and it runs 14.00 and that was the first time i was at track. i think its well worth going for a gsr. oh yeah and spoon parts are good and all but not worth the money they want for their stuff.

Spoon basically takes OEM Honda parts, and balances them. Other parts are contracted out to manufacturers, and have hte Spoon name on them.

spoon = not worth it

there are plenty of other parts out there that are as good or better that dont cost nearly what spoon parts go for

spoon = paying for the name

So with spoon you are paying for the name. Haha I wonder if it was just like that after Fast and the Furious came out ("He's running 3 honda civics with spoon engines"). Well now I feel like I just want to go with the GSR swap. Now it comes down to my last question. How much harder is the GSR swap than the b16 sir2 swap? Are they both and direct bolt in? Basically which one will be more of a pain in the ass?

Originally posted by solutionzero@Jun 11 2004, 04:44 PM
So with spoon you are paying for the name. Haha I wonder if it was just like that after Fast and the Furious came out ("He's running 3 honda civics with spoon engines"). Well now I feel like I just want to go with the GSR swap. Now it comes down to my last question. How much harder is the GSR swap than the b16 sir2 swap? Are they both and direct bolt in? Basically which one will be more of a pain in the ass?

They are both b series swaps so they are very simple. The GSR motor is so rediculously simple to put into a hatch that its amazing. If you really want to make your life easy, buy a 92-95 SI hatch, and get yourself a OBD-1 GSR motor. Use the GSR harness and you have no wiring to do. I have even put OBD-2 GSR motors into hatches with the OBD2 Harness and everything plugged right up with no CEL's. This only applies to the GSR by the way, for some reason the OBD1 and 2 harnesses plug into the civics chassis harness. I have done 4 of these sawps already and they are very easy. Good Luck

As far as i know its the same, the only real difference between the two set ups stock for stock other then the size is that the Gsr has a main girdle for the crank and the intake manifold butterflys other then the few differences in the engine components the swap should be the same.

Back