B18C5 into 96 Civic Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Matts96HB

VIP
First off, I did read the "not recommended swaps" post, and I understand that the wiring will be a complete nightmare. However, I have my dad to help, and he's been working with Honda's for about 10 years now. He's done 4 or 5 swaps with the B-Series, so we figured we would give it a shot. Anyway, here's the questions I have. I (personally) don't know a TON about hondas, but I have been doing some work on my car lately and learning my way around.

1- Should I go for the limited slip differential? or is this just a waste?

2- I have a cat back exhaust on my car right now (motor is D16Y7), will this work with the new B18C5?

3- Is this swap really worth it? I've never really heard of what kind of times are produced from it.. any links/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :wink:

Quoted post[/post]]
First off, I did read the "not recommended swaps" post, and I understand that the wiring will be a complete nightmare. However, I have my dad to help, and he's been working with Honda's for about 10 years now. He's done 4 or 5 swaps with the B-Series, so we figured we would give it a shot. Anyway, here's the questions I have. I (personally) don't know a TON about hondas, but I have been doing some work on my car lately and learning my way around.

1- Should I go for the limited slip differential? or is this just a waste?

2- I have a cat back exhaust on my car right now (motor is D16Y7), will this work with the new B18C5?

3- Is this swap really worth it? I've never really heard of what kind of times are produced from it.. any links/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :wink:

LSD is good if u like to drag/street race alot

Your cat back on ur y7 might be a little short for the C5 but not sure bcuzz my stock y7 stock exhaust system was too short for my gsr

the swap is good if u want more power

get the b18c5 if money isn't an issue. if you just want a little more pep, you could save a lot of money and get a b16 or b18b. about 1/3 the cost and will still make you happy. the lsd is only good if you want to race the car. if not and its a daily driver. leave it open differential. it will be a lot cheaper.

Well HMotorsOnline shows it as an option, as does Osaka.. but im not buying from Osaka anyway.

Thanks for the info guys, and I think im going to go with the B18C5, and the LSD, simply because I drive this to school and work, and everything else will be racing. Thanks for the info!

what makes the wiring for this a "nightmare"? i haven read up on a b series swap for the same car, but i didnt think this swap was too bad to put in?

if you've done a swap like this b4 you would see that its cake...the stock civic harness will plug up to the b series with little mods n just add a few wires.

depending on the size of the exhaust that you have on the car right now it may or may not work. The exhaust for the B18C5 needs to be at least 2.3 inches in diameter. Good luck.

your exhaust will work, you may have to use an integra catalytic converter because they are longer. Thats how we did it. But most people just go to a muffler shop and have them weld up a pipe to attach it.

Back